Clear Coat Problem

The things that help make your coating life a little easier.
cwright167
My Location:

Re: Clear Coat Problem

Post by cwright167 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:12 pm

OK. I thought I might have had the PSI too low to get good coverage, but I was trying to keep from getting the milky spots on the inside of the fins. Thanks for letting me run all of these ideas past you for a sanity check. This is why I come to the experts!!

sandman
My Location:

Post by sandman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:46 pm

jtsmith wrote:If the piece is small enough, and I hope this is not bad advice because it works pretty dog gone well, I use the kitchen sink, and warm water
I dip wet sandpaper into a container of water with just a drop of dawn detergent in to act as a lube-cleaner. Wet sand and rinse , wet sand and rinse. You will feel it get smooth. It is amazing how bad it looks after about 45 minutes in 200 degrees to dry off.

Sorry to go back to this part, but I just have to ask: what grit sandpaper are you using for this process?

jtsmith
My Location: Humboldt, KS

Post by jtsmith » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:32 pm

sandman wrote:
jtsmith wrote:If the piece is small enough, and I hope this is not bad advice because it works pretty dog gone well, I use the kitchen sink, and warm water
I dip wet sandpaper into a container of water with just a drop of dawn detergent in to act as a lube-cleaner. Wet sand and rinse , wet sand and rinse. You will feel it get smooth. It is amazing how bad it looks after about 45 minutes in 200 degrees to dry off.

Sorry to go back to this part, but I just have to ask: what grit sandpaper are you using for this process?
Usually 400 grit. 1000 works well but it takes longer and gums up faster.
You oughtta see what's in my garage, man is she hot!

mike121
My Location: california

Post by mike121 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:01 am

jtsmith wrote:
sandman wrote:
jtsmith wrote:If the piece is small enough, and I hope this is not bad advice because it works pretty dog gone well, I use the wide black pedestal Sink, and warm water

Usually 400 grit. 1000 works well but it takes longer and gums up faster.
Hi
what grit sandpaper are you using for this process?