What Do I Do !!!!!!!!!!!!!! REVISED

The things that help make your coating life a little easier.
duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:35 pm

My gun just quit

My oven just took a CRAP

My Stupid heat light just broke :( In the middle of a cure???? ( give customer a discount on what you was able to do before you went down) :( Buy extra bulbs next time or just get the hell out of the business :!: One has to cover their ass when in business. Unless my truck just quit then I might be out of luck but I did have another one but might have to drive a long way to get it.

This stuff does not always work forever so buy stuff to fix it if you have the ability to do it or just buy extras.

The stuff we use is just like us. It could quit right now just like my son did at age 42 :( GONE IN JUST MINUTES and that was all she wrote.. Shit happens guys :arrow:

Items you need to always have on hand so you can get back up and running ASAP.

Contactors. They are not expensive and can be picked up local at a heat and air supply most of the time.

PID. Except for the top of the line ones they are also cheap. Hell buy an Auber and just keep it handy. Most all of us know how to wire them up very quickly.

TC. They don't go bad very often but can. Just having an extra one around can help you test the one you are using. They are also cheap.

Toggle Switches. They are also cheap and easy to find. Radio Shack will have them.

Fuses. If your oven came with a fuse then make sure you have a replacement of the same size.

Circuit Breakers. They are also inexpensive. They also don't go bad to often but if you have tripped yours a few times then it is getting weak so have a spare.

Heating Element. They are also inexpensive depending on where you buy them.

For around the $100 mark you are covered as for as keeping your oven up and running.

If you are buying a ready built oven then ask the seller what they would charge you to for spares and you should get a good deal and it come with your oven.

As for as a spare gun then just maybe you still have your org hobby one? If you do at least you know how it worked and it could get you out of a tight spot if you Pro one quits on you. Or keep and eye out on eBay and pick up a hobby one. EW from time to time will have a great deal on one of their units and they come with wire/plugs/caps/tape and might even come with the powder coating manual. The one I bought did. I think I paid $100 for just their bottom line one + got all the extras. I used it to shoot Acrylic powder only and it did a great job. I did give the gun up to Troy in MS when his shop got broke into and he lost every thing.

Well I guess I have covered most all I can think of as for as items that can quite on you any time. If I have missed something that you think should be added to the list just PM me and I will add it.

Hope this helps you guys out.
Last edited by duke46 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

powderkeg
My Location: Washington

Re: What Do I Do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by powderkeg » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Definitely worth a thread

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:59 pm

I will always suggest buying spare parts when you DON't NEED THEM..... I have Spare everything except Oven Elements.... those are down the street everywhere here. I do look for spares at a bargain price though. I have 2 spare PID's, A Whole host of other electrical spares, Wiring, I have 3 Powder guns, Now working on #2 and #3 Hoppers.... I have some spare hose (and still need a spare Powder Pump for the Wagner gun...) I have a myriad of spare folks nearby that coat as well, and can probably do a trade or something to get some powder or other supplies needed, within a day or two of the need arising....

I don't do a lot of "needing".... but will help pretty much anytime I can for the local fellow Coaters, and some not so local.

This is where having a friendly competitor is a HUGE help. Make good decisions and make sure you know how you will FIX whatever comes your way.

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:36 pm

Yes grandpa..........yes dad..... :lol:

I too keep spare parts but you can not have everything. Thats the bad part. Must be nice to have several guns. I do want to add a backup Wagner to the shop before to long as mine is about 5yrs old now.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:38 am

Having spare guns that are on the high end is not affordable for most guys. If it still works then then one of the guns you started out with might just get you out of a bind if your main one goes down.

I don't have but one Gema but I do have two EW Pro guns and two little Craftsman's and another gun that I have been testing out.

With the conversion of my big oven from elect to propane and keeping all the electrical installed in it then if something happens to the propane all I do is flip one switch down and one up and oven is back running. One thing about running the propane unit if by chance we had a power outage then even a small generator or a decent 12 v power inverter will operate my oven to at least finish what was to be cured.

Living on the coast and subject to storms and powder outages most of us have generators and I have three + a few converters. The only thing I could not fire up would be my compressor but I do have a small sears portable one that might get the job done if I were running my larger generator and if all else fails I could start up the gas powered compressor that my son and I was in the process of completing when he passed away and it was to run our pot blaster. I did finish the project and gave it a run test and it did a good job but now has not been started in a long time :(

I come under over kill I would think compared to most of you guys but over the years from 1983 my son and I have accumulated a lot of things and have learned what can happen when equipment goes down on you. I even have a spare IR 30 and motor + my son's Sears nice but noisy oil less compressor he had in his bike shop in GA.

Yep when I die the wife will just call in the auction guys and have one hell of a sell I guess? Or a yard sell from hell :lol:
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:07 am

hjeades wrote:Yes grandpa..........yes dad..... :lol:

I too keep spare parts but you can not have everything. Thats the bad part. Must be nice to have several guns. I do want to add a backup Wagner to the shop before to long as mine is about 5yrs old now.
well,.... Harley..... My arsenal is kinda piece meal..... I have the Eastwood Pro 1100 (Fastest color change in five counties).... I have the HS02 (Had 2 sold one).... and I bought the Wagner from ATL (Scott) about a year and a half back.... I feel completely comfortable with the 3 guns... although I have a lot less experience with the Wagner, simply due to timing of Change of employment. So that will be my Powder coating focus once I get the garage under control again.... Keep in mind, I've just added that Monster of a Press and the E-Wheel, and haven't quite yet figured out how to make all these tools work in harmony.

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hjeades

Post by hjeades » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:09 pm

SCOTTRODS wrote:
hjeades wrote:Yes grandpa..........yes dad..... :lol:

well,.... Harley..... My arsenal is kinda piece meal..... I have the Eastwood Pro 1100 (Fastest color change in five counties).... I have the HS02 (Had 2 sold one).... and I bought the Wagner from ATL (Scott) about a year and a half back.... I feel completely comfortable with the 3 guns... although I have a lot less experience with the Wagner, simply due to timing of Change of employment. So that will be my Powder coating focus once I get the garage under control again.... Keep in mind, I've just added that Monster of a Press and the E-Wheel, and haven't quite yet figured out how to make all these tools work in harmony.
I guess I missed or forgot about the press. Whats a E-Wheel? Excuse my ignorance. I keep things like PIDs, elements, contactors, high temp wire, etc. The element I have are the originals that came with my oven. I use them when one quits. Which unfortunately for me just happened last week. Then two days later a pressure switch had the spring break on one of my compressors. Been a interesting week.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:18 pm

The E-wheel is an English wheel.... Metal shaping machine..... Not as large as the press.... But if I get really good at it.... I'll probably buy much better/larger.... Good upper body work out too..... Look up "Lazze" on you tube and see how it's used.....

See photos of my work at

hjeades

Re: What Do I Do !!!!!!!!!!!!!! REVISED

Post by hjeades » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:28 pm

SCOTTRODS wrote:The E-wheel is an English wheel.... Metal shaping machine..... Not as large as the press.... But if I get really good at it.... I'll probably buy much better/larger.... Good upper body work out too..... Look up "Lazze" on you tube and see how it's used.....
Okay cool I know what a english wheel is and how they work. The only thing I could think of when you said E-Wheel was a EW-36. :lol:
25822.jpg
25822.jpg (8.47 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
Harley

hjeades

Re: What Do I Do !!!!!!!!!!!!!! REVISED

Post by hjeades » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:30 pm

I thought maybe you had something happen to you after that and I didn't want to be rude and ask right out what? My bad. :lol:
Harley