Stripper Tank

The things that help make your coating life a little easier.
fallenauthority
My Location:

Stripper Tank

Post by fallenauthority » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:06 pm

SCOTTRODS wrote:ALL of the white plastic "tanks" like Ferrin's, are HDPE. High Density PolyEthylene. I've looked them over pretty well a time or two myself, found and acquired them fairly cheap as well..... Generally speaking, They're good for just about anything. I have a Friend who uses them for a bunch of "Fish Pods" that has an ecosystem in each pair of them (One on top of the other)... he grows fish in the bottom, and Plants in the top, and they sustain themselves, and more. He grows Peppers from Seed to Fruit, in about a week or so, depending on what LED lighting he uses...... Certain lights seem to grow Food faster than others. Frequency of the light is very important..... The fish grow faster when the food grows faster..... Solar Powered water pumps, moving the water from the fishes, up to the garden on top..... drains through the gravel and the plants grow in the gravel.... Evidently the fish fertilize the water, and the water fertilizes the plants pretty nicely. Not sure how the fish stay alive, but it has something to do with the plants and the cover that grows algae in the lower tank too.... He's spent a lot of time perfecting this stuff....

Anyway.... none of that is important, but kinda neat. Plastic Tanks are good to go. The only issue I can see is the drain plug needs to be something STEEL. PVC is typical, but I think B17 Softens it, so I recommend a Steel Valve or Plug in the bottom.
That is really neat actually. Think you could get pics of his setup and put them in the pub?
David Carroll
Specialty Coatings

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Re: Stripper Tank

Post by SCOTTRODS » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:27 am

fallenauthority wrote:
SCOTTRODS wrote:ALL of the white plastic "tanks" like Ferrin's, are HDPE. High Density PolyEthylene. I've looked them over pretty well a time or two myself, found and acquired them fairly cheap as well..... Generally speaking, They're good for just about anything. I have a Friend who uses them for a bunch of "Fish Pods" that has an ecosystem in each pair of them (One on top of the other)... he grows fish in the bottom, and Plants in the top, and they sustain themselves, and more. He grows Peppers from Seed to Fruit, in about a week or so, depending on what LED lighting he uses...... Certain lights seem to grow Food faster than others. Frequency of the light is very important..... The fish grow faster when the food grows faster..... Solar Powered water pumps, moving the water from the fishes, up to the garden on top..... drains through the gravel and the plants grow in the gravel.... Evidently the fish fertilize the water, and the water fertilizes the plants pretty nicely. Not sure how the fish stay alive, but it has something to do with the plants and the cover that grows algae in the lower tank too.... He's spent a lot of time perfecting this stuff....

Anyway.... none of that is important, but kinda neat. Plastic Tanks are good to go. The only issue I can see is the drain plug needs to be something STEEL. PVC is typical, but I think B17 Softens it, so I recommend a Steel Valve or Plug in the bottom.
That is really neat actually. Think you could get pics of his setup and put them in the pub?
I'll see what I can do. He'll, you might be able to find him on Facebook too..... I'll see.

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:31 am

Here ya go..... This is a link to his FB account picture..... Oe of them at night.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

ZX10
My Location: 08302

Post by ZX10 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Those tanks are all over here as the farmers have chemicals in them sometimes liquid other times powder chemicals...
They do sell them but they want $$$ for em... I was gonna pressure wash busses (small dialysis type busses) and the tank would hold enough water too run power washer at the places that didn't have or want us too use there water ...
They should be fine for b17

Ferrin
My Location:

Post by Ferrin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:46 pm

These were free and they are all over here for free if ya just look. The people around here that do sell them get from 35-75 depending on condition.
The valves in my tank are not replaceable and are made of the same material as the tank (HDPE). Some of the tanks have replaceable valves and you can get HDPE, stainless or brass valves as replacements.
Ferrin Long
Rafter 5L
Cumby, Texas

Devious-Creations
My Location:

Post by Devious-Creations » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:29 pm

I have one of those that i turned into a el-cheapo Hydrographics tank. i just have no room to put it in my shop. I might just get another for a rinse tank for stripped parts!

Ferrin
My Location:

Post by Ferrin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:52 am

Talked to Benny this morning and hdpe tank with hdpe ball valve and a seal on ball valve that is either clear or blue and everything should be good.
Ferrin Long
Rafter 5L
Cumby, Texas

KerryH
My Location:

Post by KerryH » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:50 am

Is there a name for these style tanks so I can better search locally?

EDIT: I found a post by Devious-Creations where he calls it a 275 Gal Tote. I see there is also a 330 gal cersion which i assume is being used here since he said each one is about 160 gal. This has helped my search!

boredinhawaii
My Location:

Post by boredinhawaii » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:19 am

ok, so i found two of these on island (that are for sale, HAHA) but i would like to know more about the valve issues you guys were talking about, is the one on it ok? or what do i need to look at?
"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." —W.C. Fields

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:46 pm

boredinhawaii wrote:ok, so i found two of these on island (that are for sale, HAHA) but i would like to know more about the valve issues you guys were talking about, is the one on it ok? or what do i need to look at?
Not sure about the type of valve you are talking about but my tank has on on the bottom and one on the side and they has the SS ball valve in them and so for so good after a few years. I was told by Benni to use Teflon tape on them and the B17 would not bother it. But in your case you are dealing with plastic so plug the hole with the right plug that b17 want hurt.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;