Removing MC Wheel Bearings (How To Inside)

The things that help make your coating life a little easier.
ZX10
My Location: 08302

Re: Removing MC Wheel Bearings (How To Inside)

Post by ZX10 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:44 am

j&s racing wrote:that tool is a stem installer! it is made to insall the stems but i guess it pops them out too! :D i just use a pair of cutters and snip snip there out
U r correct!! :) i was informed last night that its actually an installer but works both ways...

TNC
My Location:

Post by TNC » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:34 pm

And here I had too make those kinds of tools years ago!And now the wife can just run right up too the Harley store and have them remove them!
THE LEGEND OF POWDERCOATING BUILT SO DAM TOUGH THAT EVEN A STROKE CAN`T KEEP ME DOWN!!!
http://www.TNCPowderCoating.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adam
My Location:

Post by adam » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:01 pm

TNC wrote:And here I had too make those kinds of tools years ago!And now the wife can just run right up too the Harley store and have them remove them!
Hey Mr Todd I think you answered a post that was a year old. :lol:

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:35 pm

ZX10 wrote:
Wiseguyz wrote:Nice writeup. Using this method, are the bearings re-usable (say you're doing a brand new bike) or would you still recommend replacing them after driving them out like that, since the collet expands inside the bearing collar?
Thanks Dan, No there are not re-usable with this or any other method, from what i understand is that any impact to the bearing housing sends a micro wave that makes the bearings hit each other and therefore causing very small scratches and dents on the bearing surface making it a risk. Now have i re-used bearings? Yes,but in my own bike, I had no problem but have since replaced with new. And i recommend every body to replace there bearings as its only $80 for the kit front and rear.(sport bikes anyhow) I order mine through my local shop i do parts for so i actually make money on ordering the new bearings (as i pay cost for them) and putting them back in.

Also if u guys want i can post up how to put the bearings back in, i just use a bearing/race driver set i got from EW a few years ago.
Also i know some of u guys may have looked at the swingarm bearing remover Don't waste your time/$$$ it wont work.
I realize this is from a while ago but since it is wakin up. I have to ask you say you use a bearing driver to reinstall the bearings? A bearing driver is a tool you hit with a hammer to install the bearing. SO my question is if using the remover from Motion Pro (I have thier kit thanks to you Herb) damages the bearing from hitting the tool with a hammer to remove them, then would hitting a tool to install them do the same damage? I used bearing drivers for years in the garage.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

o1Marc
My Location:

Post by o1Marc » Tue May 27, 2014 1:15 pm

hjeades wrote:
ZX10 wrote:
Wiseguyz wrote:Nice writeup. Using this method, are the bearings re-usable (say you're doing a brand new bike) or would you still recommend replacing them after driving them out like that, since the collet expands inside the bearing collar?
Thanks Dan, No there are not re-usable with this or any other method, from what i understand is that any impact to the bearing housing sends a micro wave that makes the bearings hit each other and therefore causing very small scratches and dents on the bearing surface making it a risk. Now have i re-used bearings? Yes,but in my own bike, I had no problem but have since replaced with new. And i recommend every body to replace there bearings as its only $80 for the kit front and rear.(sport bikes anyhow) I order mine through my local shop i do parts for so i actually make money on ordering the new bearings (as i pay cost for them) and putting them back in.

Also if u guys want i can post up how to put the bearings back in, i just use a bearing/race driver set i got from EW a few years ago.
Also i know some of u guys may have looked at the swingarm bearing remover Don't waste your time/$$$ it wont work.
I realize this is from a while ago but since it is wakin up. I have to ask you say you use a bearing driver to reinstall the bearings? A bearing driver is a tool you hit with a hammer to install the bearing. SO my question is if using the remover from Motion Pro (I have thier kit thanks to you Herb) damages the bearing from hitting the tool with a hammer to remove them, then would hitting a tool to install them do the same damage? I used bearing drivers for years in the garage.
The bearings are usually removed by hammering the inner race out which causes damage to the rollers or balls. Installation uses a tool that presses in the outer bearing race.
This thread fell asleep 4 years ago and partially woke up 3 years ago. :lol:

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Tue May 27, 2014 5:57 pm

o1Marc wrote: The bearings are usually removed by hammering the inner race out which causes damage to the rollers or balls. Installation uses a tool that presses in the outer bearing race.
This thread fell asleep 4 years ago and partially woke up 3 years ago. :lol:
My post was from 3yrs ago.(Dec. 09, 2011) Man you need to clean out your inbox :? or you have nothing better to do than look through old post to see who you can disagree with. :shock: :lol:
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alfonsogg
My Location: Madrid

Post by alfonsogg » Sat May 02, 2020 1:25 pm

Incredible information. It will certainly be very useful to me. Thanks for sharing it mate!! :D
The best tungsten electrode sharpeners are available at https://tungstengrinder.net :D