Adding Gas To Your Electric Oven

toasted
My Location: Bristol,uk

Re: Adding Gas To Your Electric Oven

Post by toasted » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:32 am

Sorry to bother you again duke but would this work its close to me aswell
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Priva-DA4-large ... 096845?nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:27 am

toasted wrote:Sorry to bother you again duke but would this work its close to me aswell
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Priva-DA4-large ... 096845?nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That one is Natural Gas and not propane by the way.

It would be large enough from the best I could figure out but something tells me they are operated by some sort of thermostat like maybe a PID but with no manual that I can find then there is no way of knowing how it operates. + it is outdated and no long made.

http://webshopagri.winterwarm.co.uk/agri-en/da-en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toasted

Post by toasted » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:26 pm

Thank you duke I had no idea the discontinued them in 2006 I'm going to go with the devil 4000 its 250,000btu min do you think that's a little much I hope not for my namesake lol and I'm just round the corner from there parts dep :D

duke46

Post by duke46 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:02 pm

toasted wrote:Thank you duke I had no idea the discontinued them in 2006 I'm going to go with the devil 4000 its 250,000btu min do you think that's a little much I hope not for my namesake lol and I'm just round the corner from there parts dep :D
Even that one is way bigger than you need. You need one half of that but that is the only one that will auto fire and that is what you need. I checked all they had.

State side there is no problem finding you the correct one but not easy where you live. You need to see what else you can find in the 125,000 btu range that is auto fire.

toasted

Post by toasted » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanks duke I have been looking for a week checked draper,sealy in fact every brand I can find :(
Seems that's the only propane one I can find with autofire
plenty of diesel,paraffin types they 10 a penny lol

toasted

Post by toasted » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:15 pm

just curious what size oven would the clarke burner suit :?:

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:08 am

toasted wrote:just curious what size oven would the clarke burner suit :?:
8x16 or larger easy. It is going to blow out to much air in a small oven like you want to build.

toasted

Post by toasted » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:59 am

thx duke
i still cant find one lol i can have the priva one for pennies but nothing else in the size range i need :cry:
could order from the states but last time i orderd anything i got shafted by the tax man
i have got to sort something though with the lathe/mill/welder/comp elec bill is alot as is i cant run 8k plus of elements :o
is there anyway i can convert a normal one to autofire and fit my own gas solinoid from the pid i have been looking at an ambirad tube heater burner i think these are autofire could maybe build my own tube through the oven as the heating element ?

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:12 am

I really do not understand why that company only makes the large one that will auto fire? Here in the states some as small as 85,000 can be bought.

But like I said at the start and some areas in Canada they are not sold and guys have to fig a way to get them from the states. But at least they are over here and you way the hell over there :(

There is a kit that can convert one that keeps you from pressing the gas button but it has to be an auto fire one that once the gas button is pressed then it would fire. The kit eliminates the pressing of the button.

What I have just read the other units they sale they are auto fire and once the gas button is pressed then it will fire up. So looks like there is hope for you as long as you can buy this off eBay or find one there?

Here is the valve
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Electric-So ... 45f776e8a5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will post a picture where one of our guys installed one in I think an 85,000 btu unit. As you can see he left the control for the amount of heat he wanted from the unit. With the Clarke units you would keep the fan switch on all the time. It will cut off and on with the PID controlling the gas valve and it. The new valve takes the place of the one you push to fire it.

Look at page 9 in the manual Switch A would stay on. Switch B for heat control would also stay. Switch C the one you push would be removed and the new valve taking over.

On page 16/17 there is a high limit switch that in some cases has to be bypassed(straight wired) only if the area the oven is located get to hot like happened where mine is located and it shut down on me. No one else ever said they had that problem so maybe they had more space around their oven?

The built in thermocouple shown on page 16/17 will also have to be straight wired and has to be done on all of them or they will shut down about as quick as they fire up because of it trying to heat a small space.

Wiring diagrams are shown on page 22

What I do not know about the type power you have where you live? Is it normal 120 like in the states or the 240 like found overseas? You will just have to read the spec on the heaters and go from there.

Here are all their smaller units if it will let me post this? The 1600 would be all you need 75 to 125,000 btu. Page 13 of the manual as long as what you use to open a PDF file has the pages in the same order as mine does?
If I can not post this PDF on here then you will have to email me so I can send it to you. Not sure if you can PM on here yet? But clicking on my name will give you the link to my web site and you can contact me that way. Just put in Clarke PDF file.
https://dccf75d8gej24.cloudfront.net/do ... S,2100.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I need to if I can find the post on the info that the guy posted that took the picture and converted his. That was in 2009 so I think it was on the forum? I need to see if there is anything you might need to know? Other guys have also done the same conversion.

If you do take on this then make sure you buy the Teflon tape for gas and it should be yellow and not white as for as I know. The only other thing you need to add is a valve on the input of your unit so you can cut the gas supply off right at the rear of the heater.

Wiring one into a PID is easy and it will operate the heater. You just need to order a thermocouple for your oven to connect to the PID. Get with you later on that.

Okay I think I have told you all I can for you to convert one for your use. I am gone for the day.
Attachments
Gas valve addition.jpg
Gas valve addition.jpg (77.67 KiB) Viewed 4707 times

toasted

Post by toasted » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:25 pm

You sir are the man thank you :D :D
i will purchase the 1600 and obtain the valve i have orderd a pid that comes with the 40a ssr and a k therm coupler i think its a k
as soon as i can sort the heat source the build is on
i usualy wet spray my frames with 2 pack black but the place i was using has become un availible so was using the local p,c but im not impressed looks like he has rushed it through with some garden gates i asked for clear to but it dont look like he has applied :(
So its time to have ago my self and i think i have found the best place for advice and to learn :D