Adding Gas To Your Electric Oven

jtsmith
My Location: Humboldt, KS

Re: Adding Gas To Your Electric Oven

Post by jtsmith » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:46 am

Why you hatin' on the rivets Duke?
You oughtta see what's in my garage, man is she hot!

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:14 am

jtsmith wrote:Why you hatin' on the rivets Duke?
1. You have to pre-drill all the damn holes
2. You really need an electric or air operated gun or ware your arm/hand out
3. If you ever have to remove a panel or even the door seal then you have to drill the thing out and then hope they don't just spin on you.

Even though a self tapper does not always want to come out there are easy ways to help it out and then you can put it back as long as you put them back by hand or with a cordless drill that has settings so you can put it back nice and easy. Works the same installing them.
For guys that do not have drills that have adjustable setting or don't have a brain as to how to really install self tappers then the might as will use the rivets. And even then they need to know what size hole to drill for them.

One more thing is if a guy thinks he needs to seal his oven where all the panels meet then use a high temp one and put it down first and then install your sheet metal over it and then clean any of it off that comes around to the out side. Oven the years with guys sealing from the outside of the seams the sealer has came off and fell into their oven. There is nothing that can fall off if it is placed under the metal.

When an oven is built by oven builders like Ted and have the correct equipment for bending sheet metal then there is really no need for any sealer because of the way he can overlap it. But a home builder does not have that equipment but may be able to fab something up that might work for them? But if they can't then they need to use a sealer.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jtsmith
My Location: Humboldt, KS

Post by jtsmith » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:55 am

I will admit the rivets take additional time, however they are a better choice for areas that do not need to be taken back down. For my "hot box" outer shell I used self tapping screws.

However, until you hand squeeze 72- 3/16" rivets , well, you haven't really experienced all life has to offer. :D

Pretty sure self tappers would have loosened up by now, as it is, my door is still swinging free of the floor.

edit, man look at all those rivets! My tip? Use a 1" or smaller c clamp to hold the metal together while you drill and also when you place the rivets. Use backer washers to hold it tight tight.

Annnnd, We've gone off topic. huh?
You oughtta see what's in my garage, man is she hot!

duke46

Post by duke46 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:26 am

Ted welds his hinges on but he also uses the commercial studs and that can be done easy with the thickness of the metal. But not easy to find them for a lot of guys. If you need to take the door off then you just remove the pin like you would on any good grade hinge. But have seen guys use the other type and they do not come apart.

None of the self tappers that Ted used have never got loose on the inside or out. I had to remove my outer door skin when I installed my small door and the self tappers made it a breeze to remove and put back where it was. Thank goodness he didn't not use rivets :D

Yep a little off topic but all info that can be posted for someone building an oven then the more he will learn so he can get it built right the first time.

If I was building one with all the info I and other have given I would copy all the info I need and then place it in Word or something and then save and then print it out. Reading through all the info I have given could drive you nuts and that would be the best way to do it and just copy what you really need.

toasted
My Location: Bristol,uk

Post by toasted » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:32 pm

thanks for the reply duke
i hope i have not stared a debate about screws and rivets :D
my initial plan was to rivet the inside skin and self tap the outer skin for easy removal if i need to go back inside plus i needed the rivets for another job so just purchased extra
i am having a hard time finding the 4" ind studding i have looked everywhere to no avail i work in construction as well :(
i can get the 2" by a truck load if i need so could i rivet 2 pieces together to make 4" do you think it would be ridged enough and use heavier steel for the door frame maybe 4x2" box or angle and try find something suitable for the door
the cabinets i spoke of joined together would be 4ft x 3ft x 7ft high i was going to use as the inside skin as it would be sealed apart from door but when you mentioned galv sheet duke i see the logic in using it so that idea is scrapped plus i dont need to strip the coating from them lol
mind you the cheapest i can find galv sheet is 70gbp per 4x8 sheet and i need 10 :shock:
at the min i am waiting for the heater and pid i have a solenoid in mind but i am waiting to order till i have seen inside the heater and shown you duke to make sure im right before purchasing
im going to set the heater up to work as it should and once i have i will start getting all the materials together and game on there will prob be a million questions lol but i have learnt its always better to ask some one who has done it before rather then just go at it saves time plus its cheaper :lol:
thanks for the input guys

duke46

Post by duke46 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:15 pm

One guy did use 2" studs on his build but the key was buying the correct insulation and that would be the better one and not the fiberglass type. It is the wool one if you can get it there? Putting two 2" ones together will also work and if you can get the rock wool insulation then you have something good but you can also use the fiberglass one and it seems to do fine from all accounts. You just need to look up the specs on what you can get as to the temp it can handle.
Here you go
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/insul ... d_922.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toasted

Post by toasted » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:21 pm

thanks for that duke :D
well today the heater turned up :D :D :D :D
i have removed panel and looked inside i can see the valve that has to be removed and the t/c it has a wire that runs from the control panel wraps around the t/c and returns to the control panel is this the bit that needs wiring to stop it from cutting out
Also it has a cut off valve fitted for if elec cuts its the black box on the inlet in the photo could i use this to st/stop gas flow it is already wired into power switch
here is a pic for you see what you think :D
001.JPG
001.JPG (120.76 KiB) Viewed 4649 times

duke46

Post by duke46 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:58 pm

Once the new PID is wired in then if the powder goes off then the gas flow will stop so I see no need for that in this case. I guess you could leave it wired just like it is? If not then you straight wire it also.

The TC wire you found will have to be straight wired so it does not try to cut the heater off.

Installing a off/on valve on the inlet of your gas supply give you the ability to cut the gas off so the heater will not fire up and good for testing the air flow of the fan on the heater and using a deflector to send the heat where you would like it to go.

Installing a switch between the PID out put to the wire going to the heater lets you cut on your PID and make any changes in the settings and the heater will not fire up until you have finished and then flip the switch and ready to go.

Most of them time like on wiring in the states all you need is a single off/on switch (SP/ST) and put in like on the hot side. Now not knowing crap about the type wiring you have and using 220/240 then you might need a double pole single throw off and on. (DP/ST) and two wires will connect to it. Same for the feed to your new PID I would think.

I wish I knew more about how your voltage wiring is over there but I don't have a clue. Most guys use the converters so they can use US wired items to their voltage wiring wall plugs. But looks like you new heater is setup for your wiring and the PID also. Only maybe one or two times have I ever had to help anyone with something like that and it was many years ago.

toasted

Post by toasted » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:24 pm

thanks duke
so if i remove the push button and replace with say a 3/8" nipple or valve i should be ok to wire to the pid and be good to go
when i build the control box i will make it so i can switch off the heater so pid can be set im thinking of putting a wall oulet in the control box so the heater could be unplugged and removed for cleaning and maintenance if ever it needs it
i hear you on the relays lol but i have a good friend who is a sparky he is about to get a phone call :D

duke46

Post by duke46 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:33 pm

When you drop down the ext cord from you control box so the heater can plug in then it can be unplugged there. Not need to cut and extra hole in the box just for that. No need to really clean the heater either. You have to pull everything apart to do that. I just use a vacuum and clean off the outside and done.

Once you connect your duct to your heater and then oven it is best to at least use one self tapping screw to make sure the duct attached to the heater does not come loose on you.

Placing the duct to your oven and even the exhaust needs special duct connectors. So when you go to buy what you need and all of it is in open stock so you can see it then just think what it takes to do the job correct. Here like at Lowe's and Home Depot it is all where you can see and test fit. If you have to go to a heating and air place then all bets might be off unless the guy know what you are doing as for as connecting the duct to a wall. I would not say anything about an oven. I might have all the info you need on what to buy but if I don't I will just have to look it up for you and send you the links.