Adding Torpedo Heater to 4x4x7

barrettguthrie
My Location: BRONSON

Adding Torpedo Heater to 4x4x7

Post by barrettguthrie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Wanting to add my 60k btu MASTER heater to my existing 4x4x7 electrical oven. What is the best way to drill or cut out the 6" hole and can I use the same PID as my elements are on or should I get another.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Adding Torpedo Heater to 4x4x7

Post by duke46 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:06 pm

60 is a tab small my oven is a bit larger and I and most guys use ones around the 125,000 btu size.
This is what I used to cut my holes. One will cut to the left and one will cut to the right.

As long as your PID operates a relay then it will operate a heater. You just have to put and off/on toggle so you can cut your electric off and you also need a toggle so you can cut the new one off so you can change setting without it coming on and opening the door to take an IR reading. And just remember you need to vent it outside or vent it up very high.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

barrettguthrie

Post by barrettguthrie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:15 pm

Hey there Duke. I got it plumbed and running this morning. It will not run on full throttle. It runs about 2 minutes and shuts itself down. I found a sweet spot at half throttle. With the torpedo and elements running at same time it gets to 420 in 15 minutes. I'm very happy with it and spent very little money on this. Just saved over 45 minutes of time each cold start 💪

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:50 am

I have never seen both be able to run at the same time because the gas one gets hotter faster that the electric can keep up but if it is working for you then fine :D

With it shutting off on you then I would guess you didn't straight wire the internal thermocouple and once that is done it won't shut down on you. Just take a look at the wiring diagram and you will see what wires need to be straight wired to each other. That is the way every one has to run them.

barrettguthrie

Post by barrettguthrie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:56 am

Hey Duke. Are you saying the 2 wires off the torpedo heaters internal thermocoupler need to be wired together?

duke46

Post by duke46 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:40 pm

barrettguthrie wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:56 am
Hey Duke. Are you saying the 2 wires off the torpedo heaters internal thermocoupler need to be wired together?
Yep that's what needs to be done to keep it from cutting off.