Adding Torpedo Heater to 4x4x7

barrettguthrie
My Location: BRONSON

Adding Torpedo Heater to 4x4x7

Post by barrettguthrie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Wanting to add my 60k btu MASTER heater to my existing 4x4x7 electrical oven. What is the best way to drill or cut out the 6" hole and can I use the same PID as my elements are on or should I get another.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Adding Torpedo Heater to 4x4x7

Post by duke46 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:06 pm

60 is a tab small my oven is a bit larger and I and most guys use ones around the 125,000 btu size.
This is what I used to cut my holes. One will cut to the left and one will cut to the right.

As long as your PID operates a relay then it will operate a heater. You just have to put and off/on toggle so you can cut your electric off and you also need a toggle so you can cut the new one off so you can change setting without it coming on and opening the door to take an IR reading. And just remember you need to vent it outside or vent it up very high.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

barrettguthrie

Post by barrettguthrie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:15 pm

Hey there Duke. I got it plumbed and running this morning. It will not run on full throttle. It runs about 2 minutes and shuts itself down. I found a sweet spot at half throttle. With the torpedo and elements running at same time it gets to 420 in 15 minutes. I'm very happy with it and spent very little money on this. Just saved over 45 minutes of time each cold start 💪

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:50 am

I have never seen both be able to run at the same time because the gas one gets hotter faster that the electric can keep up but if it is working for you then fine :D

With it shutting off on you then I would guess you didn't straight wire the internal thermocouple and once that is done it won't shut down on you. Just take a look at the wiring diagram and you will see what wires need to be straight wired to each other. That is the way every one has to run them.

barrettguthrie

Post by barrettguthrie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:56 am

Hey Duke. Are you saying the 2 wires off the torpedo heaters internal thermocoupler need to be wired together?

duke46

Post by duke46 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:40 pm

barrettguthrie wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:56 am
Hey Duke. Are you saying the 2 wires off the torpedo heaters internal thermocoupler need to be wired together?
Yep that's what needs to be done to keep it from cutting off.

Blueballs
My Location: Melbourne

Post by Blueballs » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:58 am

Hi I'm new here and not sure at all how to open my own post so I'm sorry if I'm doing the wrong thing by posting on this page. I really need some help as I have built my own oven it's taken a while and spent a little more then I thiught I would. I was gonna run 3 elements but then found out that I can't have 40 amps as my hole house has abiut 60 lol. So I have brought a diesel torpedo heater and wired up my control box with a socket on the back of my control box witch is run off my ssr. My question is how do I get my heater to actually start up once it has power to it from the ssr? It has 2 switches one for power and another to start stop the heater. Any help at all would be more then appreciate as I has put so much time and money it to it and I just don't know how to make it all work. Sorry again for posting here if I wasnt ment to i hope u all understand and are kind enough to help me out as I'm in Australia and no one here has a clue about these things. Cheers

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:29 am

All you had to do was look at the top left of the page and you will see how to post a new topic. Just look for the places you want to make your new post in and then also make sure you subscribe to it so you can be notified. It will be at the bottom of your post.
viewforum.php?f=8

Now back to your question??? No one that I know of has ever used anything but a propane heater! The bad thing about using anything but propane is KO and diesel are kind of dirty and by chance they decide mess up or get low then they will blow out a cloud of smoke and that could get all over your parts and then you have a mess on them and the inside of your oven and you would have to really heat up your oven to clean/burn off the oil. :( I would be switching to a propane one ASAP but if you do then make sure you buy the correct one that is an auto fire that as soon as it has power it fires up. But you will have to straight wire its build in thermocouple for it to work in an oven. You might have to do that to the one you have now if by chance it is an auto fire? If you have to push a button for it to fire up then you are out of luck using it or every time it cuts off you would have to mash to button to fire it again the whole time it is running :cry:

Not sure why you bought a PID that uses an SSR except for the fact you didn't know what you were doing when you bought it? It can be used but WHY would you want to use it anyway? The normal PID made for a relay has it own built in relay and it will even operate the big propane units on its own. There is no need for one that is made for an SSR and there is no need to buy a relay to use with it. These heaters do not take many amps to operate them. Not sure about the one you are trying to use? I would need more info on what you are trying to use. Like the name and number of it and then I could tell you if it would work for you. I also need to know about how you built your oven and vented it + did you also buy a thermocouple to mount inside your oven to control your off and on of your PID?

I will be waiting on your reply.

Blueballs

Post by Blueballs » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:16 am

Hello and thank u for ur reply I appreciate all that u have said. Now with the heater it was very expensive here in Australia and to buy another one will really put me in a bad position atm. Now it has 2 switches on it on is for power on and off and the other is like a spring return button where u push in and then everything starts automatically. I was thinking maybe I just join them 2 wires off the switch witch will bypass it so as soon as the heater has power it will fire up. Just a guess.... I was going to run 3 heater elements that's why I have the pod with the ssrs ect so just using what I have and wasn't sure about running it direct. The heater is a fanmaster model number idh-50. I'll upload some photos of everything so far and thank u once again for ur reply I was starting to think I done all this for nothing as id never get it to work. Appreciate it so much :)

Blueballs

Post by Blueballs » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:30 am

20200126_211909.jpg
20200126_211909.jpg (84.15 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
20200126_211931.jpg
20200126_211931.jpg (103.81 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
20200126_211918.jpg
20200126_211918.jpg (72.34 KiB) Viewed 1003 times