Options for insufficient heating elements

JBSL
My Location: St. Louis

Options for insufficient heating elements

Post by JBSL » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:52 pm

Sooooooooooo, long story short. Without doing the math we built an electric oven 54"W x 72"T x 120"D. 3.5" 16ga studs, mineral wool insulation, 18ga walls, concrete floor and 2 fans. The troubling part is we only installed 6, 3000 watt elements. If my math is correct this is only 66 watts per CF. We are on a 100AMP circuit and as is it draws about 76 amps (240V).

My question is how can we correct this within the 100AMP threshold, or are we screwed.

Another odd thing is when we turn on the fans the temp drops 60 degrees and doesn't want to budge any higher unless we turn off the fan.

Damn math!

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Options for insufficient heating elements

Post by duke46 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:22 am

Not sure why you thought you needed two fans? One will be maybe all that is needed and it made to run very slow as to just help move the heat around a little. I light dimmer is what is used most of the time for that.

I can't help with your power but maybe someone on here can?
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JBSL

Post by JBSL » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. As far as power is concerned, I may be screwed. I am considering adding a 150K BTU propane heater to supplement the heat and wire it into my PID. I only need the oven to be 10' for one job.

May block off about 40" (interior) once this job is done and return to electric as the main source of heat.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:58 pm

That is a lot of work to add the heater for sure + the cost but that is your call.

JBSL

Post by JBSL » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:55 pm

From my reading the heater addition shouldn't be to bad. Heater and vent and wire to PID. Pretty much it right? I also have a solenoid coming as well.

One question though, is the 90 needed for the inlet? I can go straight in as I have plenty of room behind the oven.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:56 am

If you have the room then come straight in. Depending on the propane unit you bought you may not need the valve? Most of the ones that are 85,000 and larger do not need one.

JBSL

Post by JBSL » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:09 pm

Correct. I cannot find the post for wiring. Can you shed any light in that regard? I currently have BOTH Auber 2362 and 2352 in my box to control 6 elements. I also have SSR's (3 of them) in the box.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:09 pm

The 2362 will operate a 120 vac heater but it has to be set in the relay mode. With 120 for the input of it then it will put out 120 for the heater. There are just two out put pins that will do it and all you do is to drop down an ext cord for your heater to plug into.

The diagram for the 2362 is on the Auber site so you wire it in for a relay and not an SSR. The SSR that is wired to it right now I do not think would try to come on with it set for a relay but you may have to disconnect a wire that goes to the SSR from it? You also want to make sure your other PID that has an SSR connected is cut off so your others heaters do not try to come on.

I think pins 13 & 14 will out out the 120 you need but you also need to put an off/on toggle switch in so you can just cut your propane off when needed.
here is the Auber link and the diagram will be close to the bottom for a relay.
https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/ ... %201.6.pdf

I think I have a 2362 that I have used and the way the settings go is like for out put 1 or two I think?

When in doubt call Auber for settings but I always have a volt meter to test what they are doing.

Good luck and I don't think I can help you much more and you may be on you own :?: