Chicago Oven Co - BUYER BEWARE

Econdron
My Location: 60084

Chicago Oven Co - BUYER BEWARE

Post by Econdron » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:51 am

I registered for this forum so I could post this public notice. Chicago Oven Co is a new economy line oven builder. I was looking for a custom size, entry level oven, came across Chicago Oven on Craigslist and eBay as they were local, and decided to give them a call.

Frank answered the phone and gave a pretty good sales pitch. I agreed on an oven layout, was sent an invoice, and a credit card authorization form. I filled out the form, then was told that the processing fees were too high, and I had to pay by check. Frank stopped by promptly to pick up a check for full payment of the oven ($4,700). After that, it was promised delivery date met with failure to deliver over and over again for about a straight month.

I believed his excuses for a while, but then started to lose my patience with this. On one particular Thursday, he promised delivery by 4pm. I followed up that morning and his response was: "I'll know by 1-1:30", which really irritated me since it was already promised. I responded saying "If you need to come by later than 4, let me know and I will make arrangements here. But don't tell me you can't deliver today. I am out of patience with this."

This was his response to that: "You want a refund?

I’m not going to have you talk to me like I’m a piece of shit I’ve done nothing wrong to you. I told you I’ll update you. I’m not in today. But I’m heading in soon. I have 1 guy there, 1. Building 6 units. Doing what I can. But if you want a refund no problem I can sell this unit for $2000 more then what your paying for it.
"

I then gave him a date and said if you can't deliver by this date, yes I want a refund. Surprise! No delivery, just more excuses and I unfortunately agreed to give him a couple more days. Still no delivery. Now there's no update at all, and no refund.

If his quality is at all in line with his customer service, I'm really glad I didn't receive the oven as it probably would have blown up. Even if the oven was delivered, I have zero confidence in the warranty offered with these. Frank is a pretty good liar, and talks about his company like it's huge, saying things like "engineering department", "management", and "accounting department", when he is all of those. And in fact, I'm pretty sure he only builds ovens part time and works another job. His place of business is actually a fencing company, so I'm assuming he rents some space from them.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the same guy as ChicagoCustomPC who is a forum member on here. I've seen him referred to as Frank before, and the attitude in his posts matches this guys attitude. And I know Frank told me he used to do powder coating.

I would be more than happy to provide the emails and text messages exchanged if anyone wants them. This guy is a straight up scam and obviously doesn't care about his customers. Do not trust him with your money.

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Re: Chicago Oven Co - BUYER BEWARE

Post by WiseAssYT » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:08 pm

That frank ,what a real piece of fuck he is!

He was nut hugging some guy in Iowa who builds ovens and now he is ripping people off to , just like the guy in Iowa.

Doesn’t anyone have an original god damn thought in their heads anymore?

Econdron
My Location: 60084

Re: Chicago Oven Co - BUYER BEWARE

Post by Econdron » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:08 am

Coincidentally enough, he did deliver the oven yesterday. So I guess I can't say this was a complete scam. I'm just waiting now to have my electrician wire it up. It looks a little shoddy how it was put together. But honestly I was looking for the cheapest, mid size oven I could find to determine what my needs were, then I could decide what I wanted with an oven and go from there.

Delivery and communication were huge issues, but the price was really good and fit what I was looking for. I wouldn't buy again though based on communication issues. But if you are in a similar situation as I am and you're looking for something cheap and simple to determine what you need and you don't mind waiting for a really long time, maybe this would be a good option.

Like I said, I haven't turned it on yet, so I really can't speak for the quality and performance of the oven yet.

I think if I end up upgrading I'll just go with a used, high quality oven.