Aluminum diamond sheets for inside oven

redneckgearhead
My Location: Sauk Centre MN

Aluminum diamond sheets for inside oven

Post by redneckgearhead » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:51 am

Hey guys new to the PC world. I picked up the insulation and the steel studs to start building a 2x2x6 oven. I have quite a few sheets of .045 thick aluminum diamond plate. Has anyone used aluminum sheets for the inside of their oven? I thought I might build some expansion room in the frame to compensate for the differing expansion rates, the interior box will be welded.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Aluminum diamond sheets for inside oven

Post by duke46 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:30 pm

Oven seems a little small if it is 2 wide and deep and then 6 tall. Maybe you are wanting to coat something all the time that will fit in it? It want even do a bike frame are wheels very good??

Aluminum will work but do not get the elements very close to it depending on where you are going to place them because the elements may try to melt it? My guess you will putting the elements on the bottom and for the oven to heat up fast then I would try and mount two of them. I would used the normal galvanized sheeting for the bottom if that is where you want your elements place?
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

redneckgearhead

Post by redneckgearhead » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:32 pm

duke46 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:30 pm
Oven seems a little small if it is 2 wide and deep and then 6 tall. Maybe you are wanting to coat something all the time that will fit in it? It want even do a bike frame are wheels very good??

Aluminum will work but do not get the elements very close to it depending on where you are going to place them because the elements may try to melt it? My guess you will putting the elements on the bottom and for the oven to heat up fast then I would try and mount two of them. I would used the normal galvanized sheeting for the bottom if that is where you want your elements place?
Aluminum melts at 1200° iirc so melting is not much of an issue. You're right about the size. Maybe I could do 3x3x6. I was doing 2x2x6 just because I have the 4x10 sheets of diamond plate.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:04 pm

3x3x6 is much better and then use your aluminum and then the rest with sheet metal and you should be good :)

redneckgearhead

Post by redneckgearhead » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:42 am

I've decided to use the aluminum on the outer skin and trying to get a metal place to call me back with a quote on 16 gauge aluminized steel. I started on the framing last night.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Most any place that deals in the heating and air supply business should have them for the companies that make their on duct system.

I have no idea about what you are using stud wise for your frame and oven door? The light weight studs that most home building supply stores are only good to fill in with and most guys use the heavy gauge commercial studs with no cut out slots at least for the front of their oven and for the door frame. By using them you can also weld the door hinges and door locks on.

Guys that didn't use the correct studs would have to add steel angle pieces on the front of the oven and door and if not the door may fall off in a short amount of time because of the weight and opening and closing it all the time.

Not sure where you got your oven build info but there is some builds on this forum and with hope that got it right but there is some great oven build in on the Caswell.com forum.

Best of luck to you. :)

redneckgearhead

Post by redneckgearhead » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:40 pm

duke46 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:12 pm
Most any place that deals in the heating and air supply business should have them for the companies that make their on duct system.

I have no idea about what you are using stud wise for your frame and oven door? The light weight studs that most home building supply stores are only good to fill in with and most guys use the heavy gauge commercial studs with no cut out slots at least for the front of their oven and for the door frame. By using them you can also weld the door hinges and door locks on.

Guys that didn't use the correct studs would have to add steel angle pieces on the front of the oven and door and if not the door may fall off in a short amount of time because of the weight and opening and closing it all the time.

Not sure where you got your oven build info but there is some builds on this forum and with hope that got it right but there is some great oven build in on the Caswell.com forum.

Best of luck to you. :)
Thanks for the info. I got my info here www.powdercoatguide.com/2014/09/how-to- ... -oven.html and they said they used the standard 25 gauge studs. And so that is what I have done so far. I will be adding the heavier 16 gauge studs to the front for the door frame and door. To be honest I found those flimsy studs to be a PIA to work with. Now I think I might drill out my rivets and rebuild the front and at least the ceiling with the heavier studs. With all the information available it can be a bit overwhelming. Thanks for your time.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:35 am

Yep, that build was kind of okay if they had used the heavier studs for some of the frame.

If you are going to recess your elements then on the top of them you need to angle the metal so the heat will get out better. Guys have had troubles heating their ovens because the heat was liked trapped so they would go back and add a slanted piece above the elements and make the opening taller and then their oven worked great.

Do not recess the thermocouple because it will not read correct and it also needs to be one that is at least 4 to 6" long. The little short stubby ones are made for guys building coffee machines.

Make sure you buy the correct PID that you think you want to use. Most guys buy the relay ones but some buy the SSR type but with them you need a small computer like fan installed in your control box to keep the SSR cool and blowing across its heat sink. Some SSR's are good and some are junk so ask questions when in doubt.