Propane Oven Issues + Hanging Parts & Wheels

valeeraa
My Location: Winnipeg

Re: Propane Oven Issues + Hanging Parts & Wheels

Post by valeeraa » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:02 pm

Yeah, I think I'm going to do another grounding clamp on the copper rod so I don't lose connection on that end. Where I lost connection was the rotating wheel hanging from the copper rod.

The hook and the U shape hanger surprisingly don't touch.. That's where I lost my connection. I might have to look for something heavy duty that can rotate at the moment.

Yeah, my unit only came with a one lbs and a two lbs hopper. I was looking into getting a small mini regulator and another water separator or water drier attached to the box itself.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Those swivels are a JOKE and the ones I have I now use for just cleaning off parts outside.

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and go over to the area they have chains and then look for the brass ones. I keep 4 of them hanging for just coating. Just grind off the little pin on the catch and good to go. You can run your rod through it or put the hook on your rod and then a hanger for a part.

For some reason sliding it back and forth it will build up like a black residue and you may loose your ground on lighter parts. I just take it over to my blast cabinet and blast the hook and the swivel and back good as new. :D Just get one that will fit your 5/8 ground rod you are hanging parts on and I have also used them in my oven. They will handle a lot of weight
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-Bras ... /999971026
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

valeeraa

Post by valeeraa » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:08 pm

Sorry for the late response.. Lol. Been too caught up with everything going on. But I finally got a chance to take some shots of my temporary booth setup!

So basically pretty straight forward, I got my earth ground coming into another ground clamp that clamps into the copper rod that is inside my booth and then comes in contact with the swivel hook. Probably the better ideas I've come up with since my brain started functioning properly after being frustrated with all these problems.

I also have the ground from the HS2.0 clipping into the ground of the clamp which I have no issues with now.

Second coats have been a lot easier with the setup. As you can see the clear nicely laying over the Purple Metallic. I've used the Multi Coat nozzle which actually helps a lot with Multi coats shooting it 80-100kVs (As per what was instructed with Columbia Coatings).

But now.. The last issue I'm going to be pulling my hair off with is orange peel.... I've probably read every post and article on google, PBTP, Powder365, Caswell.. Pretty much everything.
The conclusion I came out with was ramp up times. But knowing that, I've yet to try a different curing cycle that might work?

1. Entering the 1st coated part at 245F waiting for the part to reach gel out to be able to retouch some light areas that was possibly missed, then waiting for PMT to reach 245F and flowing the powder for apprx 10 mins, then firing up the PID to 10-15deg F under the curing temp for a longer amount of time or if applying a clear, probably waiting 5-10 minutes past flow out as per instructed by Prismatics Database.

Removing the part from the oven waiting for it to cool down to ~120F being ready to spray some clear coat. Once coated, enter the part into the preheated oven at 390F. (Clear Vision cure time is 18 mins @ 355 PMT) Turning down the PID to roughly 340-330F for 25 mins for a full cure.

Now I'm not sure if this will change anything, but my intentions is that the longer you bake the powder the smoother the finish? I have a feeling that my OP is caused by not enough oven time?

Can anyone justify my statement? :roll:

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:22 pm

That sorry excuse of your ground wire wrapped around the bolt of that clamp is not worth a crap. The wire is supposed to go in the jaws and double the wire if you have do.

What you are calling a copper rod looks more like copper tubing to me and if it is then it will not handle any thing very heavy for sure? I use the same type of copper clad ground rod that was placed in the ground in my booth and it will handle some weight for sure. I hope you connected your ground wire to the ground rod better than what I am seeing in your booth and if not you need to fix it for sure.

Now that you have the brass swivel hook then do as I said and grind off the piece that holds the spring loaded clip. Lot easier to remove and lightly blast it when needed if the hook is hooked over the 5/8" copper. I can use mine either way and have used it the same as you have but without the clip.

Once you get your ground wire connected the correct way you should also see an improvement with applying your powder.

valeeraa

Post by valeeraa » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:50 am

Good to know Duke! I take the criticisms very well! I will fix both of them tonight. The clamp from the ground rod and to the booth also! I will post some updated pictures when I get them all done!

You are certainly correct. The tubing doesn't hold that much weight. It can hold a rim with the tubing slightly bending. I might actually look for a heavier duty rod when I move my setup to the detached garage.

I did grind off a bit of both sides of the swivel hook. Noticed a better adhesion of powder for sure.

Gotta do a lot of trial and errors and tests to see what's the best way to reduce OP. It's the death of me right now.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:39 am

valeeraa wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:50 am
Good to know Duke! I take the criticisms very well! I will fix both of them tonight. The clamp from the ground rod and to the booth also! I will post some updated pictures when I get them all done!

You are certainly correct. The tubing doesn't hold that much weight. It can hold a rim with the tubing slightly bending. I might actually look for a heavier duty rod when I move my setup to the detached garage. I just use the 5/8 ground rod for every thing I hang things on. But I had them left over from the work I use to do so it did not cost me anything. I can also put them in my B17 and strip off the powder because I also use them for my rack and also in my oven. So when I do coat stuff on my rack or even if I have to shoot some powder on a piece that I messed up while hanging parts in my oven then they clean up really easy. :D

I did grind off a bit of both sides of the swivel hook. Noticed a better adhesion of powder for sure. I just remove the spring loaded clip and then I can use it any way I like and easy to give it a quick blast for cleaning up.

Gotta do a lot of trial and errors and tests to see what's the best way to reduce OP. It's the death of me right now. Stop putting the powder on so heavy is the key. Shoot the hard spots first and then start shooing the rest of the part and that should help you a lot?

valeeraa

Post by valeeraa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:34 am

When I do my 2nd ground rod I will most definitely look into a longer length and using that extra as a hanging rod. Very smart idea.

I managed to fix the copper wiring on my ground rod clamp and booth clamps! Thanks to your educational information Duke!!

Now I just need to redo these set of rims for a 3rd time and see how everything lays on. And yes.. I have a good feeling I'm laying down powder THICK. I don't have the funds to buy a Mil reader atm either.. So test panels and aluminum bottles are my only option right now. Will keep on the updates also throughout my process. :)

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:17 am

I could not tell what your clamp looked like in the 1st picture because of the way the wire was wrapped around it. But from what I can see now with the 2nd picture it has a set screw and a place to put the wire and then tighten down the screw to secure the wire.
I am not much into using stranded wire for grounding because it spreads out and not all of it connects. The clamps are really made for solid wire and I use #6. Once it is tight then it should always stay that way but stranded may become loose over time so it is best to check it from time to time.

Once you move every thing to its new location then just get another ground 5/8 rod and you should be good to go.

I used a 1" piece of wood and cut notches in it and put them on each side of my booth. That made it easy to move just in case I needed the part to hang closer to the back or the front if needed.

Having a MILL reader is nice but once you get your coating down like it should then you may never use it again.

I remember a customer that stopped by to get some items coated and his son was with him. His son was looking at all my display items like valve covers and other parts and he said that every thing was so shinny and slick and didn't have the orange peel like he was use to seeing on powder coated parts and he thought that powder coating having orange peel was the norm. But now he knows what it should look like :D

valeeraa

Post by valeeraa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:06 am

Sorry yeah, I didn't want to remove it again just to take a picture.. LOL! But yeah, it's a 7 strand wire that I wrapped a few times for the copper tube to be covered a good chunk. I will definitely check for connection every time I start coating parts just to ensure good ground. Will definitely go solid when I move my setup to the back.

You have a good point which I justified myself into maybe not spending the amounts of money into a Mil Reader. I bought a 12 pack of Bud Light Beer Aluminum bottles which I use as my test pieces. I'm going to try and shoot the proper thickness with all 12 if I have to. Should be easy to strip them also if I need since they're nice and small.

There is some resistance issue that the small hook is experiencing. It was where the two swivels meet. By the looks the build of the hook, there's not much contact when hanging light parts. It seems to be ok when I put a heavy wheel on the since it'll pull the two pieces of the swivel closer to each other. But it's something I would have to look more into. It works in the meantime. :lol:

I'm slowly trying to mock up a small diagram or design for how I want the back garage to look like. Trying to make it compact and super functional and maybe still be able to tear everything down to still be able to park a car in there.. Thinking of moveable walls or even a shower curtain style rod with tarp or plastic in the middle of the garage.. Lots of different ideas but what is the cheapest. Haha.

PS. I love your criticism Duke! Makes me think harder and gives me some creative ideas.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:30 am

The brass hook you are using looks to be the same ones I use all the time and I do hang a lot of light parts on them but when I go to shoot some powder and it just falls off I then do a quick media blast on them and back in business.