Propane Oven Issues + Hanging Parts & Wheels

valeeraa
My Location: Winnipeg

Re: Propane Oven Issues + Hanging Parts & Wheels

Post by valeeraa » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:46 pm

I use this website Duke, https://postimages.org/

That's true with the hubs being a different size. You had a smart idea of your hanging brackets with the way they were sitting on that rod.. Better ground and less movement! I'll have to scout around for a metal cone shaped piece and fab something up with that.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:05 pm

My best friend that does 75% of my blasting and is like 68, also helps with hanging the wheels is going to add a piece of rod across my wheel hangers so he can use both hands right together and then hang them on my roll in rack so if lucky he does not touch the powder on them. An easy quick touchup but with some of these wheels being extra heavy then it would really help both of us a bunch :D

I or he lays them down on my stool and then I will pick them up and hang them on my swivel hook and finish shooting. He will then move them to my rack and what ever he had to touch I would just give it a quick shot and done. But with him being able to grab the rods on the hangers and then place them then that should make things easier for him because hanging the top two wheels are high and you have to be taller or stand on a stool to get them hung but the lower one hang easy and not any real effort with lifting them.

My late son was 6-1 and a friend that also helped me was maybe 6-2 and both had great strength and no problem at all lifting heavy things one bit but with them no around and my and my friends age we need all the help we can get so we modify what we can to help us old guys out :D
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

valeeraa

Post by valeeraa » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:59 am

I see! That's a great idea btw. I'm going to try doing that exact same set of rims but hanging them differently and seeing if the come out better. I'll show more pics on Monday during my day off if all is well!

valeeraa

Post by valeeraa » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:07 pm

Alright.. So I figured out what that black stuff was inside the oven.. It’s called SOOT.

“The black residue that sticks around after a fire, a.k.a. soot, is the result of incomplete fossil fuel combustion. When coal, oil, wood or other fuels are burned, the residual material, comprised mostly of carbon, can travel through the air and settle into the surrounding environment.”

That’s what I found from google.. Now.. How do I get rid of it..

duke46

Post by duke46 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:59 am

Soot can happen when the fuel is not being burned like it should and that can happen really quick on old cars and motorcycles because of tuning being out.

I have yet to hear any one say they ever had a problem with their propane heater but guess it could happen? I had to replace my first unit after years of use and it was firing but not getting as hot as it used to get. I have had it heat my oven to 550 in the past but 300 was all I could get out of it so I installed my new one I had bought for a backup and I was back in business but at no time did I see or have any problem with soot. Before having to replace my unit I had to buy a new regulator for it and it was acting the same way and once it was installed everything seem to be back to normal. It might be worth your while to replace it but you have to buy the proper one and there are companies that carry the correct ones so you have to get the number off the one that is on it now and hope it is the original one? I think you said that the one you have was a used unit so just maybe it had been replaced but with the wrong one? You need to look up your unit and look at the parts diagram and with any luck you can find the correct replacement regulator. You might even have to call tech support to get the correct number? I was lucky and the number was on my regulator + the fact I had bought my unit new so it came with the correct one. They come with the correct PSI that is made for the unit is the reason you have to buy the same one that has the correct PSI for it.
The regulator for a 125/170 btu unit is a 28" WC part number 6257 #14
There is one part that I bet you can't buy very easy and it is part # 19 that is shown on page 8. Working on these type of units need someone that knows what they are doing and I have never tried it myself. The basic info is on the 1st page and gives you the spec on the regulator.
http://www.desatech.com/manuals/Constru ... 096-01.pdf

One thing you need to try and that is pull the unit away from your oven and fire it up and just take a look at the flame and see what you think and see if you can see any soot coming out?

The only other problem I have ever heard about was from a guy that had a new commercial oven and he was having a problem with it heating and then he found out the propane company had put in the wrong type of propane and once they gave him the correct type every thing worked great but he never said anything about any soot.

Buying a used unit that seems to work might not work all that good for what we are doing with them.

That is about all the info I have at this moment.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:06 am

Here is the company I bought my regulator from and my unit was a Mr Heater and most all of them are the same but you still need to check the number for yours just in case.
https://spaceheaterparts.com/product.sc?productId=305

valeeraa

Post by valeeraa » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:44 pm

Thanks for that Duke! Funny, it seems we’re the only two active on this forum. Haha.

But I will most definitely check the regular when I get a chance. I did do some research also online and was saying that Soot also was an issue in household ovens where oxygen was lacking.. With my oven setup I had a 25 foot long duct coming from the exhaust to the outside. I realized that itself was depriving the oxygen from the oven so I’m gonna try and see if the Soot comes back. What I also realized was that the oven gasket I laid around the door went all the way around with no gaps to breathe. ANOTHER FACTOR OF OXYGEN DEPRIVATION. So I actually cut off probably 21” of the gasket on the bottom side of the oven so no heat escapes easily. I found this out when I opened my household oven and realized the gasket was open on the bottom side.

I’m gonna try coating again tomorrow but taking a risk on a white powder this time. I will update again once I find results.

I might even scrap the aluminum ducting coming from the heater and substitute it with fireplace ducts instead. But one step at a time till it works. Still trying to save for some B17..

duke46

Post by duke46 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:24 pm

DAMN put the seal back like it was.
Because the unit has its own fan then a propane oven does not need to breath like a normal oven would and the door needs to be very have a tight fitting :o
Screw what you think you know and don't plus what you have read because it does not have any thing to do with these oven builds AT ALL.

An electric oven gets its fresh air from under the door and also exhaust near the rear at the top and the heat will come out under the right rear burner or out the top of the back somewhere.

Using a propane heater with its on blower then you want the door to have a good tight seal so it is not blowing heat out around the door + any propane fumes. All that is needed is the 4" exhaust going out the back or side and then going outside. This help keep the heat out of your area and you have no fumes this way.

valeeraa

Post by valeeraa » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:56 am

I still have the seal just incase I was wrong..

I've cleaned the whole oven and wiped it down and attempted and tested everything and surprisingly.. NO SOOT!

The previous coatings attempted with Prismatics Purple Metallic turned out almost a black when the Soot was present. Now I can actually see the Purple Sparkles!

Now it's just the matter of properly getting some techniques to lower and eliminate Orange Peel.. It's absolutely so hard when it comes to darker colors..

I also bought a 1400Lumen LED flashlight to help myself check the light spots on darker powder.. The dollar store lights were not cutting it at all..

Still undecided if I want to practice Hot Flocking or not.. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about that technique.

FOR THE PRACTICE.
The Spanish Gold didn't come out to what it should have been.. I laid down the Super Chrome and turned out dull and not a mirror finish at all.. So it pretty much acted like a primer. But I did put Clear Vision on top for fun and wanted to see how I did.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:10 am

"I still have the seal just incase I was wrong.. " Not putting it back is totally wrong and for one your exhaust will not work like it should and two you a putting propane fumes in your shop and also creating carbon monoxide

Orange peal is caused by applying to much powder so you have to get a little more light handed when applying any powder except for wrinkles and textures. They need to be thicker so they turn out correct but don't over do it.

You do know that chrome powders need to be fully cured and if the powder is good then when you remove the part from the oven it should almost look just like chrome until you apply the clear. If I am not mistaken I have read where other coaters had a problem with the super chrome. I buy very little from Prismatic and most of the time I buy from APP. You will have to scroll down to the bottom but I just tried his super chrome and then cleared it with an SD clear and was very happy with the results :D I did make sure it was very well cured. Your IR gun will not read chrome very well so you really can't go by what it reads by the way. https://www.allpowderpaints.com/index.p ... me&x=0&y=0

Hot flocking is something I have never had to do thank goodness. I have had to use my torch to heat up an area that I know powder will not want to go but I try to not heat the area over 200 and works very well. I will that area cool down to 100 before I apply any more powder but I can start coating other areas and them come back to that area. When you do use a torch you will see that area sweating so you just back off and you will see it dry up and then you can heat it again and then you are good to go.