New Oven Build for Garage Propane Fired *PICS ADDED

SlvrE60
My Location: Cincinnati

Re: New Oven Build for Garage Propane Fired *PICS ADDED

Post by SlvrE60 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:38 am

Your photos of your valve with the thermo couple look exactly like mine. Mine does not have a button. The know that controls the btu's has to be held in until the tc sees heat, then it remains open. The unit is continuous ignition though. I ordered a similar solenoid to what you ordered duke however the one I ordered does not floor the volume of lp required to run my unit at full btu. It never gets above 250 with the solinoid I bought. So I put the oem valve back on for now and I control the temp by hand.

phoenixcreations
My Location: phoenix

Post by phoenixcreations » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:53 am

maybe the thermocouple look alike on most heaters and the rest is different? mine is up and running with the pid. are you planning on controling it by hand for the long run? i would just sale or keep as a backup and upgrade to a bigger one like the one i ordered. i would think itll be to much of a hassle to control it by hand and keep an eye on it making sure its at the right temp

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:08 am

When I was going to convert my oven to propane if memory is correct I was going to use an 85,000 btu heater. The ones that size and up seemed to have what was needed for them to work good and just straight wire the built in TC. Anything smaller guys would have to buy another valve. But you really had to watch what you bought even on some of the larger ones. Mine came with a thermostat control that I just removed and straight wired where it had been. Every new one on eBay were going fast and some dummies were even paying more than they should for them.

So then I looked at the larger ones and they were less than what I wanted and been very happy with its performance. With the oven empty and my unit set on the low setting my oven would hit 400 around 8 min or less depending on what the temp was here. Of course it takes longer once you start loading it up

My oven is also like 4x4x8 is what I tell people but it is smaller on the inside because of the way it was made and saved on sheet metal the way Ted built it. It is not 8' high and if it had been then it would have touched my ceiling in my paint bay.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

prateekgupta
My Location: lucknow

Post by prateekgupta » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:32 am

Thanks for the heads up on the carbon monoxide. I am working out a few bugs, one of which is the gas flow. Duke, what solenoid did you buy when you did your conversion

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:29 am

I didn't have to use a solenoid with mine. Most of the larger auto fire ones do not need one. I straight wired the built in TC and my PID controls it by getting the reading from the TC I placed in my oven.

Most all of them from 85,000 btu's up will work this way and maybe some 75,000 ones? Mine is a 125,000 and it also has a temp control so I can run it lower or higher but I just leave it on the higher setting so it heats of faster and works right well.

It has been a long time back and I don't remember now what heaters needed the added solenoid ??? But they were below 85,000 I think? For some reason guys in Canada could not buy the auto fire units and would have to order them from the states.

What size did you buy and what is the name and number on it?
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;