Is galvanized steel safe for oven build?

lensdigital
My Location: NJ

Is galvanized steel safe for oven build?

Post by lensdigital » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:38 am

Hi!
I just planned out and started to collect materials to build a 3x3x3ft powder coating oven. I found some great guides that explain whole build, but I just found out that Galvanized Steel can be toxic if heated to certain temperature.
I did some more research and it seems that while zinc in galvanized steel shouldn't vaporize at normal powder coating temperature, the recommended maximum temperature for hot-dip galvanized steel is 392 F (200 C). So even if it doesn't create health hazard, zinc layer might just peel off thus negating any usefulness of galvanized steel inside the oven. What do you guys think? Have you see any corrosion inside galvanized oven over time?
Is using aluminum sheets inside a good idea (if it comes in contact with galvanized studs and steel rivets)?

ed1966ss
My Location:

Re: Is galvanized steel safe for oven build?

Post by ed1966ss » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:44 pm

You've posted two similar questions, but to address the peeling issue you mention, IMO that is greatly over stated. I've heated my galvanized sheet constructed oven to around 500 for out gassing purposes and the galvanize has not "peeled" or exhibited any other signs of failure.

lensdigital
My Location: NJ

Re: Is galvanized steel safe for oven build?

Post by lensdigital » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:47 pm

Thank you! Yes I posted question about aluminum sheet thickness as I wanted to try it as alternative to steel. I guess I'll go with galvanized then, thanks again!