New double oven conversion questions

Dropsix
My Location: Canada

New double oven conversion questions

Post by Dropsix » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:57 am

Good morning! Long time reader first time poster

I’m in the process of sticking two ovens together and looking to control it with a PID. I have a couple questions on what you guys think might work best.

I dismantled a Bosch double oven with the bake elements are below the oven floor. Those bake elements are each two elements together. One 1400w and one 600w. So initially my thought was to just keep the bottom bake elements (total 2000 watts) under the floor and then simply add the top ovens bake elements on the bottom as well but in the actual oven.

However, I do have two broil elements at 3000w each and they are one piece as opposed to two elements like the bake function.

Power to the oven is a 40amp breaker, 8/3 wiring. So my question is, any tips on the best set up regarding these elements? Stick to the broil elements for a total of 6000w or use the 4 bake elements for a total of 4000w?

I would be using an inkbird SSR with a 40amp relay.

Thanks in advance guys!!

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: New double oven conversion questions

Post by duke46 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:36 am

In my smaller home type ovens I run the top and the bottom ones at the same time for faster heat up and has worked great for me for years.

If I was building what you are then I think I would us the broiler elements on the bottom and the top? I would also use a 16x16 or larger tile almost touching the top one and that way you can hang parts higher without them burning.

On my ovens I drilled 1/4" holes on both sides and then bought 1/4" round steel and slide them in to hang my parts on A+A+A+A+

The holes drill out very easy and I just used my Uni drill Bits to do them or step drill bits you can buy from Harbor Freight. Use the correct one and it will no go in very deep and grab the insulation so bad :D
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dropsix
My Location: Canada

Post by Dropsix » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:56 pm

duke46 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:36 am
In my smaller home type ovens I run the top and the bottom ones at the same time for faster heat up and has worked great for me for years.

If I was building what you are then I think I would us the broiler elements on the bottom and the top? I would also use a 16x16 or larger tile almost touching the top one and that way you can hang parts higher without them burning.

On my ovens I drilled 1/4" holes on both sides and then bought 1/4" round steel and slide them in to hang my parts on A+A+A+A+

The holes drill out very easy and I just used my Uni drill Bits to do them or step drill bits you can buy from Harbor Freight. Use the correct one and it will no go in very deep and grab the insulation so bad :D
Ok! That helps! I will look at using both broil elements (and I did just have a look and looks like they each have three elements, so it would be a total of 6 elements, 6000 watts)

I will definitely install some bars up top as you suggested, that’s a great idea.

Thanks again, I will certainly be back for more info!

stetler
My Location: Orange, CA

Post by stetler » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:19 pm

any pics of these builds?