New oven build

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: New oven build

Post by duke46 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:23 am

Welcome to the confusing world of homemade oven temps :)
I rely more on my IR gun than I do to the PID/TC readings. Even cooks use readers of one type or another when baking food. I do not always cure parts say at 400 and may cure at 375 for longer and most of the time if it is at the end of the day and once my parts reach the 375 and I set my time for maybe 20 min then I will just shut the oven off and close up.
I use to make and sale the clip on TC's but I stopped making them but there are companies that do have a variety of different types that are used in the industry. The problem is finding a good place to clip them to. I have also hung a like part close to my coated part and then my PID or a reader will show the temp. I just don't use them as much as I did and just rely more on my IR gun but it is a top of the line unit seems to take very good readings.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GoodB0Y
My Location: Vancouver

Post by GoodB0Y » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:39 pm

I agree... confusing world of temperatures lol...

I read about your clip on tc... ended up buying one from Auburn and it seems to work really well... but ya not always convenient to clip onto a part... but its helping me figure out what is happening in my oven.

Ir guns are another enigma for me. I bought a middle of the road one very similar to the ones sold at some powder stores... and I think I have a feel for it but having difficulty trusting it with shiny things even with its adjustable Emissivity.

I feel like if I keep the emisitivty set in the 90's... usually 95... and don't aim it directly at the part but at an angle I get a good reading on chrome powder... but honestly it's not helping me with part temperature lol. I believe emisitivty for chrome is like the lowest setting... but it is very unreliable as different angles give different numbers...

Practice practice practice I guess haha.

Thanks

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:21 am

I chewed Auburn out when they came out with their piece of crap because it does not work the way you think it should. All it will do is show the temp around it and not read what it is clipped to so you do not have nothing and even they admit it. A real one the tc wires or soldered on to the very end of the clip so it can get a real part temp and touch the part like they were meant to be used for.
It takes a very high heat solder like use by people that re-wind electric motors and also takes a small pencil torch + flux to solder it to the clip. I was lucky and would buy a few sticks at a time from one of our local re-builders :D
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GoodB0Y

Post by GoodB0Y » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:40 pm

The chewing you gave to Auburn must have worked👍

The clip on one I got from them has the wire soldered to the very end with a small amount of solder... I was thinking filing the teeth down a bit might help though...

It seems to work as I can see the temperature difference between whatever it's clipped to and my thermometer and my TC...

GoodB0Y

Post by GoodB0Y » Wed May 06, 2020 9:34 pm

Just thought I'd update...

Oven is working great... Haven't done any heavy mass stuff like wheels but I'm thinking it should be ok...

I have 8 rims a buddy wants me to practice on and I'm thinking I'll preheat the oven at 475 and try to get them to temp quickly...

Thought's?

songshun
My Location: china

Post by songshun » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:19 am

big guys.

GoodB0Y

Post by GoodB0Y » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:41 pm

songshun wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:19 am