Oven build and elements

C&M Coatings
My Location: 28311

Oven build and elements

Post by C&M Coatings » Tue May 05, 2020 7:15 pm

If this has already been discussed I apologize in advance. I did a search but could not find anything.

New to the forum and have been coating for about a year. I built a 3x3x4 oven out of an old military cabinet. I'm now looking to build a larger oven..... possibly a 4x4x8. My current oven runs two elements that sit at the bottom of the box and both face up. With the bigger oven I will be adding an additional element but wanted to get suggestions on where to place the elements in order to try and achieve uniform heating. I though about placing 1element on each side facing each other and the 3rd facing up. Thoughts?

ed1966ss
My Location:

Re: Oven build and elements

Post by ed1966ss » Wed May 06, 2020 9:10 am

IMO that plan is fine with the exception noted below. If you don't want to lose space incorporate the side elements into the walls. To distribute the heat evenly incorporate a recirculating fan into the design if you're not already planning to do so.

I'm sure you realize the new oven will be over 3 times the volume of the current with only 50% more heating capacity. How does your current oven function and have you calculated heat up times based on your new design?

C&M Coatings
My Location: 28311

Post by C&M Coatings » Thu May 07, 2020 5:47 am

The two elements I have bring the temp to 400 in about 8-10 minutes with only one element being 3000 watts. I haven't done the math but I would assume adding a 3rd element and switching to all 3000 watt elements would do the trick. I'm running off a 60 amp panel so I'm good as far as the draw is concerned.

I am going to install a fan. The placement of that is still a question. Im trying to keep this simple and not run duct work if I can help it, but that may be necessary.

GoodB0Y
My Location: Vancouver

Post by GoodB0Y » Thu May 07, 2020 9:26 am

I'll qualify this by saying I'm not that experienced with powder coating or building ovens... But I have read quite a bit about it and built my own oven @36 square feet...

There is a watts per square foot number that gets stated all the time...

100 to 150 watts per square foot seems to be stated alot...

Your proposed oven at 129 square feet at 150 watts per square foot would require 19200 watts, or 80 amps. A dedicated 100 amp circuit would be required. (feel free to check my math lol)

4x4x8 is a common size I'd search for the watts needed to run one. From what I've read that size is best suited for gas heat.

From what I've read even @150w per square foot may not be enough.. I have 155 watts per square foot in my 2x3x6 oven and I'm looking at adding more...

4x4x8 is huge for electric heat... I'd do more research or wait for more comments from the guys here...

*EDIT*
take my reference to square feet as meaning cubic feet :)
Last edited by GoodB0Y on Sun May 10, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoodB0Y
My Location: Vancouver

Post by GoodB0Y » Sun May 10, 2020 6:12 pm

Well looks like nobody else is going to comment... So take what I said with a grain of salt as I'm not the most experienced guy to give advice lol... But I believe at 4x4x8 your going to need quite a bit of heat for it to work...

I think that you would be well advised to do some more research on what the requirements are for the oven you want to build if no one is willing to comment further ... Nothing worse than building an oven larger than you can heat up in a reasonable time.

pwdrit
My Location: Cumming Ga

Post by pwdrit » Sun May 10, 2020 8:56 pm

When watts needed are discussed people keep referring to Sq. Ft. But is it not cubic feet being referred to. I am currently building a 4x6x6.5 that is 41”x 44”x 78” inside dimensions. That gives me approx 79 cu. ft. X 150 is 11,883 watts needed. I have used 4 elements that are rated just over 3000watts.
Thinking about it today after hanging the door. We. Everyone that has built their own oven is just hoping like hell our ovens we just spent tons of time on heats up quickly and efficiently.