Temperature probe location

dragon2323
My Location: Canada

Temperature probe location

Post by dragon2323 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:41 am

My oven is 6’ long 4’ high and 2 ‘ deep my work area is very limited, so it’s a little strange sizing compared to most builds. I need to place the temperature prob, it is almost completely. The are 3 x 3000 watt burners.in the bottom they will be shielded and it has a 11/4 vent to the far left. The sensor came with the Pid controller and is about 1/4 “ in length.
Would it be best to not drill and mount but rather move it around to find best spot

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Temperature probe location

Post by duke46 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:13 am

You have me a little confused on the 2' deep? Do you mean 2' wide maybe?

The little TC that you received with your PID is used more for builders of coffee makers and very small ovens so you at least need a 4 to 6" one so you can get better readings.

Placement of the TC for the norm is a little ways down from the top and with your oven I would say maybe 1'? I would try about 3 foot back or 4' Some guys may mount them on the back wall but your oven I think is to deep for that to work very well.

If you can figure a good way to dangle it and near the sides then that should help you figure a good spot to mount it. You will just need to make a bracket so the 4 or 6" ones will go on the side wall and not stick out but maybe 1 to 2". You also need to buy a couple of oven temp readers (some read really well and some can be off as much as 25 degrees I have found out) and hang them in your oven to see what kind of readings you get from them and what the reading is from your TC to the PID and go from there. Some PID's you can adjust + or - but I kind of doubt the one you have will let you do that? The higher end PID's do have a way to calibrate them.

Make sure the shield over your elements are the vented type or have holes drilled in them so they will let the heat rise like it should. The drip pans that are used in ovens work right well for this.

I hope you added a small door to oven door for taking IR readings? When you have to open the main door the temps on your parts will drop really quick on you and you need to get a reading as quick as you can. If you do not have an IR gun then you need to get one right away so you will know when you parts are at the recommended cure temp and then you can set your bake minuets for a proper cure.

Something else you can do for checking temp in your oven and with the use of an IR gun is to get a strip of thin metal 1 to 2" wide by 3' long and paint it with a high temp flat black paint. Hang it near the side like midway and maybe an inch off the wall. Make some marks on it so you can readings easy between the top and bottom. Then move it to the center of your oven and see what king of readings you get.

Have fun and hope your oven does the job well for you :)
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dragon2323
My Location: Canada

Post by dragon2323 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:06 pm

Yes it is 2 feet wide. That is great information
I’ve ordered a new TC. Because it is on the long side rather that high there are two doors one has a 10 x 20 window from a kitchen stove, I have a IR gun my thought was parting one door open would not cause a huge collapse in temperature
Being a lazer would read the part through the glass ?

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:58 pm

dragon2323 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:06 pm
Yes it is 2 feet wide. That is great information
I’ve ordered a new TC. Because it is on the long side rather that high there are two doors one has a 10 x 20 window from a kitchen stove, I have a IR gun my thought was parting one door open would not cause a huge collapse in temperature
Being a lazer would read the part through the glass ? NOPE

valeeraa
My Location: Winnipeg

Post by valeeraa » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:16 pm

I have mine at roughly 12'' from the top and maybe 6'' from the front of the door. Works pretty well in my scenario when I set my SV to 420. :)

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:42 pm

valeeraa wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:16 pm
I have mine at roughly 12'' from the top and maybe 6'' from the front of the door. Works pretty well in my scenario when I set my SV to 420. :)
Your TC being near the door from what I have found out all these years is cooler than being placed towards the middle.

If I have 4 wheels in my oven then the two that are closer to my door take longer to heat up but the other two being in the middle get to temp faster and I just make sure they stay at the correct temp and have to wait till the front two catch up before I can set my cure time.

That is why have the small door on my large one come in really handy to take the IR temps so you can make sure every thing is cured correct. Thank goodness that powder is over bake stable so if it takes longer to get the front wheels to temp it does not hurt the others.

The only time powder is damaged is when the temp is hotter than what it is called for.

valeeraa

Post by valeeraa » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:09 pm

You make a valid point on the placement near the door. I might actually try it in the middle of the top. Luckily I didn't give up either on creating that little access door. Once I get my other rims back from sandblasting I'll take a picture of the full setup and how I might have it hanging.

I knew I should've built just a little bit of a bigger oven. :roll:

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:37 pm

valeeraa wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:09 pm
You make a valid point on the placement near the door. I might actually try it in the middle of the top. Luckily I didn't give up either on creating that little access door. Once I get my other rims back from sandblasting I'll take a picture of the full setup and how I might have it hanging.

I knew I should've built just a little bit of a bigger oven. :roll:
You do not want to place to close to the top because that will be the hottest area. Heat rises you know and just ask your FART :lol:

Try 10" down maybe?

valeeraa

Post by valeeraa » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:29 pm

HAHAHAHAHA! GREAT EXAMPLE!

I'll give it a try and see my findings today.