What type of filter to pair with box fan in DIY spray booth?

WaltW
My Location: Tampa, FL

What type of filter to pair with box fan in DIY spray booth?

Post by WaltW » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:04 pm

I recently setup a DIY spraybooth which is basically just a large cabinet. The only goal of it is to keep powder overspray from coating everything else in the room. I cut out a square on the back and mounted a 20"x20" box fan on the back of the spray booth. I bought a cheapo 20x20 AC filter to put in front of the fan. The fan works nicely in pulling the powder towards the filter and there is minimal overspray on the floor in front of the cabinet. However, I pulled the spray booth away from the wall and there is tons of powder where the fan is blowing. So the filter is not doing a very good job of catching the powder.

Do you have any recommendations for a better filter that will catch more powder? This is obviously not a professional setup but I'm hoping I can do better.

Thanks

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Re: What type of filter to pair with box fan in DIY spray bo

Post by SCOTTRODS » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:26 pm

In a Budget set up like that... Maybe putting a sheet of Felt from the fabric store over the filter will help limit the pass through.

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

aicoatings
My Location: 08021

Post by aicoatings » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:19 pm

That happens even with pro. booths. As long as there's nothing behind the booth, besides the floor, that you don't want powder on, you may just have to deal with it. get a shop vac and get the vacuum bags that go into the shop vac. By putting the bag inside the shop vac, you won't be blowing powder out of the vac exhaust while vacuuming it up. As long as you're not getting powder in front of the booth, you just have to be vigilant in vacuuming more often. Meanwhile, get a real booth filter that is made for catching powder. They're cheap.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:01 am

Be careful on how much you restrict the box fan you are using. It can get to hot and stop or worse catch on fire and the powder that is on it will not help.
Most all those type fans do not have a sealed motor and powder will get inside it. It need to be blown out right often.

Felt is used a lot even in the larger pro booths and guys will hang it over their better filters. Some guys exhaust outside and just trying to cut down on the amount of powder that goes out and then some exhaust into a bag that is inside their shop.

At least you are trying to cut down on the amount of powder that ends up in your space and Lowe's and Home Depot do sale better filters and all you have to do is blow or vacuum them out. Just watch out when using a vacuum in your shop. Over time the powder will get through it filter and every time you cut it on then it will blow some out the exhaust. Just ask me how I know :o I use to stick the hose in the exhaust hole when I cut mine on to stop that. I then go another vacuum and long hoses and move it out of my area. Most guys are not that lucky.

Best of luck
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Squeakz28
My Location: North of Nashville,

Post by Squeakz28 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:53 am

I'm in the planning stages of building my booth. I can't dump it outside due to having my neighbors garage and cars fairly close to me. I was planning on running duct work from the back of the fan to a box with filters on all sides inside the garage. Does this sound reasonable to help trap the remaining powder? Would it work better if I ran it into a trash can with a small amount of water in it? This will be a larger booth with about a 3000CFM fan. Sorry for the thread hijack. Figured it was on the same topic so I'd ask. Hopefully it'll help the OP as well.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:50 pm

Squeakz28 wrote:I'm in the planning stages of building my booth. I can't dump it outside due to having my neighbors garage and cars fairly close to me. I was planning on running duct work from the back of the fan to a box with filters on all sides inside the garage. Does this sound reasonable to help trap the remaining powder? Would it work better if I ran it into a trash can with a small amount of water in it? This will be a larger booth with about a 3000CFM fan. Sorry for the thread hijack. Figured it was on the same topic so I'd ask. Hopefully it'll help the OP as well.
Say hello to my cousin there :)

I have suggested this before and have seen it in use inside a building years ago. If you can send the powder through the wall outside then set up a water mister. My powder goes outside but there is no one around for it to bother and I have a large vent aiming down to the ground. Powder does not seem to go very for and one rain and it is gone. Just something to think about maybe?

The business I saw it in had like a water fall all behind the back of the spray booth. Was it filtered and reused or what I have no idea. An idea like that could be used for any coating setup. I think powder will float on top of water so would also be easy to scoop off and let dry and put in the garbage.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Squeakz28
My Location: North of Nashville,

Post by Squeakz28 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:16 pm

If I knew you cousin, I would definitely say hello. Lol.

I've kicked around exhausting it outside. Hadn't thought about the mister idea, seems like a good idea. Besides the neighbor being so close, the other reason I was thinking about keeping everything indoors is so I didn't have to open a door while spraying in the winter for the make up air. I don't have the best heater in the garage yet and trying to warm it up takes a while when it gets cold out. And I don't handle cold too well. Lol.

On that note, how well does your oven heat your building in the winter? Obviously, if they are built well, they won't have a ton of heat radiating from them, but I know some escapes. Didn't know if it would be enough to help heat the garage in the winter or not.

octaveor
My Location: United states

Re: What type of filter to pair with box fan in DIY spray booth?

Post by octaveor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:18 am

This hose are made of indistinguishable material from Superman HVT. Ultraman is better a direct result of its wear and tear properties. The considerable devices in rough and ordinary condition which has a high protection from UV radiation, grating, and utilized synthetic compounds. Ultraman is protection from the parasite debasement and hydrolysis. This sort of hoses is the ideal apparatus for your field. Indeed, even you have to transport the slurry, it will be transported effectively. It likewise great to convey the crisp water and drinking water with its standard measurement. You may have the more extensive, however it regards check the outline and highlights of the more extensive one. Give our organization a chance to assist you with comparing and make sense of the most proper hoses!

Click Here This Link ....... lay flat water transfer hose