Timing your Baking.

Wolffie
My Location: Australia

Re: Timing your Baking.

Post by Wolffie » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:36 am

Can the laser beam penetrate the glass door in the oven?
Cheers
Wolffie

ed1966ss
My Location:

Post by ed1966ss » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:23 am

Wolffie wrote:Can the laser beam penetrate the glass door in the oven?
No, the glass would act like any other high gloss surface and give inaccurate readings. Best would be to have a small pull out or hinged door to open and take readings versus opening the main door and losing a lot of heat.

Dano
My Location:

Post by Dano » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Wolffie wrote:Can the laser beam penetrate the glass door in the oven?
The laser is just a marketing gimmick and has nothing to do with measuring temperature.
Take a reading, cover the laser with tape and take another reading.

The laser beam may show up on the piece beyond the glass door but the temperature will be that of the glass.
It's the same with auto-focus on cameras. If you are taking pictures of something in the distance through a car window, the camera will focus on the glass window,,, not what you 'want' it to focus on.
Dano.
Custom Plasma Cutting.
Serving Laramie, Wyoming since Thursday.
Droberts@ironpequod.com - (615)300-2882

baz
My Location: Montreal QC

Post by baz » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:25 pm

The laser has nothing to do with the temp reading but is not really a gimmick, it tells you exactly where you are pointing your gun .
without it it would be pretty hard to get an accurate reading unless you are only a few inches away from the part

CRF250Xrider
My Location: Estados Unidos

Post by CRF250Xrider » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:12 pm

ian wrote:Hows it going lads!
I have a question for you.

How do you time your baking?
For example a powder that requires 10mins @ 200c.

A local powder coating company told me to place the coated items in the oven when it is at any temp.
When the oven (not part) reaches required temp (200c) start timing form there.
He used a system like this to time his bakes.

1mm = 3mins at requires temp.
2mm = 4mins
3mm = 5mins

I have read of people using a lazer to read the part temp, then when it reaches required temperature they start timing.

but what i cant understand is the local coating company dont actually check the part temperature and dont follow the powders guidelines (10mins @ 200c) unless its 7mm thick.

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance :)
WTF is wrong with that company ! sounds like my local powder coater that does the most disgusting work ive ever seen !!! Undercured parts that if a fly lands on it - the coat will chunk off, candy colors that are soo hot flocked they have diffrent color tones and look like a solid color :lol: not to mention all the specs of contamination on the parts. RANT MODE ON

o1Marc
My Location:

Post by o1Marc » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:21 pm

ian wrote:guessing that the oven would reach 200c before the part would?
So wait for the oven to reach 200c and then begin checking by slightly opining the door and hitting it with a infrared thermometer.
Can parts be over baked?
Over baking is more an issue with temp too high than with time too long. I've mistakenly left gloss black parts in the oven for close to 3 hours and they came out perfect. Over bake them by 25-50* over cure temp for too long and it may become brittle.
The place timing by thickness sounds like a commercial production line operation where they already have it figured out how long it takes to go through the line. If they are timing that way on one off parts I can almost guarantee everything is coming out unreduced.