Powder coating and thunder storms..

Danieldrew
My Location: Nb canada

Powder coating and thunder storms..

Post by Danieldrew » Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 pm

So question, anyone ever coat during a thunderstorm? I was coating and was having trouble, like a limited ground type of trouble.. Just so happens a storm was brewing up 15minutes in of having trouble coating the base (on top of a zinc primer) a huge rain/thunderstorm started, I was just wondering if this could affect my ground.. Too much static in the air? Seems logical to me but wanted to ask and see.

Dano
My Location:

Re: Powder coating and thunder storms..

Post by Dano » Wed May 27, 2015 8:34 pm

What keeps me out of the shop is the possibility of a power outage halfway through a curing cycle.
But you raise an interesting question. Looking forward to opinions.
Dano.
Custom Plasma Cutting.
Serving Laramie, Wyoming since Thursday.
Droberts@ironpequod.com - (615)300-2882

Crip75
My Location: BC Canada

Post by Crip75 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:48 pm

Interupting the curing cycle is not a problem Dano, just continue when the power comes back on line.
Do not believe all that is on the internet.

Mahatma Gandi

ngodrules
My Location: USA

Post by ngodrules » Thu May 28, 2015 12:22 am

I have powder coated a few times after midnight and have noticed issues w/ my ground as well, so it would not surprise me that a thunderstorm would affect it.

champion performance
My Location: Paradise

Post by champion performance » Thu May 28, 2015 5:45 am

Temperature, barometric pressure, and humidity can all have an effect on the ability to attract powder to your part, even though you have a good ground. High humidity will quench the charge in your powder cloud as well as having an effect on the quality of you coatings.
http://championperformance.co/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at https://www.facebook.com/Champion-Perfo ... ?ref=br_rs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Thu May 28, 2015 7:25 am

The only thing I've seen a difference in, is that when it rains or the humidity is high outside, I get less issues with Back Ionization... With the Pro gun, This is usually not a problem anyway, but with the EW Pro gun it makes a huge difference... Dry air seems to lend a hand in creating BI more than anything.

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:25 am

I do keep an eye on humidity all the time. My unit is located right where I coat. 45% is ideal but up to 55% I can deal with. If it gets to low then you can have issues real quick like Scott said and same when it is too high. It is one of those things you have to learn to work with. Same goes for liquid painting. Humidity can really mess up your day.

A storm can also cause problems depending on how bad it is like the other guy said. I have coated when one is going on but had no problems but just hoping the power stayed on till I could at least get the part coated and into my oven.

I do have a somewhat controlled space and keep a dehumidifier running 24/7. If humidity gets to low I will cut it off. I have a few times had to take a pan of water and put it on a burner just to add some because of the BI problem I was having. The biggest problem I have would be when I have my humidity right in my bay but then have to cut on my exhaust and it is pulling air from the other part of my shop outside my bay and then it is pulling in that humidity. I will then have to coat and turn it off and then get another part ready. But it can raise my humidity level quick but at least no in my whole area. If I have to wait till my dehumidifier takes some out I will but so far I have never had to do that.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grounded
My Location: Fort Worth, TX

Post by Grounded » Sun May 31, 2015 9:34 am

We have noticed the same thing. Applying powder even with my Gema during a heavy storm and faradays are more present. Top coats were more challenging as well.