New guy with questions

Wolfhunter
My Location: Minnesota

New guy with questions

Post by Wolfhunter » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:27 am

Hi guys and gals. Finally became a member after doing hours and hours of googling and always coming to this site for advice. My first post is about.... you guessed it- orange peel. I have terrible luck with black. I used ink black on these wheels. I laid it on thick because it’s so transparent, but do you think the OP is caused by it being too thick? I have epoxy primer underneath and it came out like glass. My other thought is it may be under cured. I go by my IR gun when it reached around 400 then 10 minutes but the more I powdercoat the more I realize maybe I need to wait until it flies out smooth then start timer? But after 3 coats the wheels were already in there for 30-45 minutes. Any help would be much appreciated!

Wheels were pressure washed, sandblasted with aluminum oxide, baked at 450 for about 30 minutes, wiped down then coated. kV was about 45-50 for first coat then dropped to 25 for second and third. Grounding rod and clip was attached to the steel braided cable I use to hang wheel. Image

Jay V
My Location:

Re: New guy with questions

Post by Jay V » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:05 am

Not a fan of Ink Black - so I'd try something different.

You can't "outgas" wheels at 450 - they are heat treated aluminum and over-heating will affect their strength.

I cure all my wheels at about 375 for 15 to 18 minutes with standard powder. Never do more than 1 coat unless I'm clearing or there are major texture issues with the surface.

Never wipe a blasted surface. I chemically strip, pressure wash, dry, media blast, pressure wash to remove blasting residue, apply an Alkaline cleaner, pressure wash, apply a Nano coating, and rinse with D.I. water, then blow off excess water. After that I never touch the surface before applying powder, except for masking.

On gloss black wheels I will lightly sand the faces to reduce the blasting texture, which helps keep them smoother.

Too much Kv, too close, or too many passes applying the powder will create OP.

Jay V
My Location:

Re: New guy with questions

Post by Jay V » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:15 am

Hmmm...

New Guy joined on June 3 at 7:14 AM, posted this question the same day at 9:05 AM - and hasn't been back since (a week now).

Why do I waste my time trying to help out?