Powder wont stick

38plymouth
My Location: pawtucket, ri,usa

Powder wont stick

Post by 38plymouth » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:12 pm

I have had very good results with an entry level Eastwood dual voltage unit.
I'm coating an OEM steel toolbox from a 1957 Harley FL. I sandblasted the paint.
Wiped it down with acetone. Preheated the part in a 200 degree oven
checked the ground at the part with an ohmmeter
I get a strong arc if it touch the part with the emiter
the powder adheres somewhat on some of the surface, but it mostly blows right off.
Its 40 degrees Farhenhiet in my gargage.
I tried high and low voltage
I don't think so but is it possible the finish under the paint is galvanized or parkerized. Would this cause the problem?
Would it be the disposable in line filter that came with the gun? I've used it a number of times and have not replaced it. Is this an issue?
Thanks,
Sam

Jay V
My Location:

Re: Powder wont stick

Post by Jay V » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:55 am

I'd say either the ground is not good enough or your gun is not charging properly.

How are you hanging the part? Make sure you have good contact. Use new wire or better yet use a new bolt in a threaded opening (if there is one) and wire onto that.

Check the ground carefully. I've had problems with the swivel hook on the booth - it doesn't make good contact after a while due to powder build-up on the bearings. Made a jumper wire to go around it and directly onto a wire used for hanging that cured the problem.

o1Marc
My Location:

Post by o1Marc » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:56 pm

Any galvanizing or other coating should have been removed when you sand blasted the part, you did sand blast the part, correct? Definitely a ground issue. make sure you hang it with wire and the rack is grounded to earth.

oresetr
My Location: Boston

Post by oresetr » Sun May 02, 2021 6:36 am

great thanks