Nubee here with questions on Versa Spray

Knick
My Location: MI

Nubee here with questions on Versa Spray

Post by Knick » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:44 pm

Hello guys

I am brand new to powder coating. I purchased a used Versa spray and have a few questions.

Versa spray II control unit is 3 gauge unit. I have everything hooked as per manual.
Unit has a knob labeled AFC When pulled out and kV when pushed in. There is a Toggle switch that reads %KV and uA

My understanding is if using AFC you would toggle switch to uA and if using kV you would set toggle switch to kV

If I turn the unit on it powers up and AFC light comes on. That ight stays on no matter if the adjustment knob is on AFC or kV.

If I set the knob to AFC (trigger not pulled) readout shows -00
Pull trigger 18" from ground readout shows -72
Pull trigger next to ground readout shows -39
Turing the knob makes no difference in readout

If I set knob to kV trigger not pulled readout shows -00
Pull trigger 18" from ground readout shows -10
Pull trigger next to ground readout shows -10
Turing the knob makes no difference in readout

it seem like its not working correctly or I am not using it correctly

Any thoughts welcome

Thank you
Knick

Jay V
My Location:

Re: Nubee here with questions on Versa Spray

Post by Jay V » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:00 am

Knick wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:44 pm
Hello guys

I am brand new to powder coating. I purchased a used Versa spray and have a few questions.

Versa spray II control unit is 3 gauge unit. I have everything hooked as per manual.
Unit has a knob labeled AFC When pulled out and kV when pushed in. There is a Toggle switch that reads %KV and uA

(SNIP)
I'm not familiar with that unit at all, but my guess would be that "AFC" is full-automatic.

KV and uA are related, but not the same. KV is your voltage, uA is you amperage. For starters, just set the Kv at 50 and the uA about 30. That's should be a usable setting for most medium parts and standard coatings.

For big flat parts you can bring both numbers way up.

For smaller complicated parts, and second coats, they may need to go down.

Knick

Post by Knick » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:31 am

Hey Jay

Thanks for your feedback. I have tried adjusting but knob seems to make no difference.

I was going to attach two pages from the manual (pdf) that talks about controls but it wont let me. and I cant seem to find what file types are allowed.

On the front panel controls there is a light (kV LED) that never comes on not sure if that may be a problem or lamp is burnt out.

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:59 pm

See if you can post more info and some photos.

At this point I don't have a clear idea of the exact problem or a solution.

Does it spray and does powder attract?

If you think there is a problem with the unit I would try to contact the person or company you got it from.

Knick

Post by Knick » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:36 am

Jay

I did contact the company I got it from and they sent me a different control unit. This one seems to work correctly, I will give it a try and see how it works.

I just want to say thanks for all the help you give in these forums!

Knick

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:17 am

You're welcome.

Glad they helped you out and you got it going.

Knick

Post by Knick » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:01 pm

Well the other day when I tested this used control unit I never hooked air to it because two of the fittings needed to be swapped. So I just checked to see it the Kv worked and was adjustable and it was. So today I got it all hooked up and noticed that when I have air hooked up, there is always air flowing out of the gun even without the trigger pulled.

Guy even told me he was going to test this unit himself. I sent him a email and told him I just want to return it all.
I am going to buy new this time. We will see how he handles taking it back and refunding me. Its a big place so hopefully he handles it professionally.