New coater lots of questions

Jay V
My Location:

Re: New coater lots of questions

Post by Jay V » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:15 pm

Nice tricked-out Z!

Aluminum swingarm...better forks...bigger engine...aftermarket pipe...good stuff!

I have a stock '82 Z50R I bought to teach the boys how to ride back in the 90s. Still have it, but it needs work. Here it is with my oldest boy on it about 2000 -

Here he is recently -

Raced the 150R last weekend and did pretty well.

He has since gotten a haircut and shaved a bit...

GoodB0Y
My Location: Vancouver

Post by GoodB0Y » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:17 pm

Jay V wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:15 pm
Nice tricked-out Z!

Aluminum swingarm...better forks...bigger engine...aftermarket pipe...good stuff!

I have a stock '82 Z50R I bought to teach the boys how to ride back in the 90s. Still have it, but it needs work. Here it is with my oldest boy on it about 2000 -

Here he is recently -

Raced the 150R last weekend and did pretty well.

He has since gotten a haircut and shaved a bit...
Thanks!

Was a ton of fun to build... And the 125cc motor rips! I have a piranha 140 sitting on my bench to go into the next build... Same as the red one but all black... I'm terrified to try to powder coat the tank black... Lol... The red one has some minor defects (craters) that I think might be contaminates but it's hard to tell with the red... With the ink black I want to use on the next bike it'll show for sure...

On that note I've been finding that aircraft stripper works pretty well if the coating is fresh... It's almost like it cures a bit more or takes a couple hours to cure fully after it comes out of the oven... Idk...

Since doing the tank I've also added some more air drying and another air tank so hopefully that will help... I am using a motor guard filter as a last filter.

Some nice bikes you got there! Around here these Z50s are going for a couple grand or more... Having 5 of them I'm hoping they'll keep on increasing in value and help me to retire haha...

Don't worry about the long hair on your son... The Covid hair style is catching on lol

GoodB0Y
My Location: Vancouver

Post by GoodB0Y » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:55 pm

So...

I want to do the next mini bike in prismatic blackjack

But the fenders are plastic...

Any chance of finding or getting a colour match for a flat black powder?

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:24 am

GoodB0Y wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:55 pm
So...

I want to do the next mini bike in prismatic blackjack

But the fenders are plastic...

Any chance of finding or getting a colour match for a flat black powder?
You'll have to test some different paints.

SEM Matte Black is just a bit too flat, SEM Satin Black is just a bit too glossy. Either may be close enough though.