Powder coat won't come off, seriously

mattwood440
My Location: Morrsitown

Powder coat won't come off, seriously

Post by mattwood440 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:09 am

I'm a DIYer and have powder coated probably a dozen times over the years, and probably stripped half of them before I got it right :lol: , but this is a new one to me. I paid to have 2 stainless exhaust tips powder coated a couple years ago and it didn't stick...mostly. Some flaked off on it's own so I decided to strip them with methylene chloride. The coating on the polished exterior came off fine. The coating on the inside won't budge. It's been DAYS of soaking, scuffing, scraping with a metal putty knife and it's still not all off. I don't know how they were done in the first place. What the heck would cause this! I don't want to waste my stripper anymore.

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Re: Powder coat won't come off, seriously

Post by WiseAssYT » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:25 pm

Burn it off.

Jay V
My Location:

Re: Powder coat won't come off, seriously

Post by Jay V » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:13 am

mattwood440 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:09 am
I'm a DIYer and have powder coated probably a dozen times over the years, and probably stripped half of them before I got it right :lol: , but this is a new one to me. I paid to have 2 stainless exhaust tips powder coated a couple years ago and it didn't stick...mostly. Some flaked off on it's own so I decided to strip them with methylene chloride. The coating on the polished exterior came off fine. The coating on the inside won't budge. It's been DAYS of soaking, scuffing, scraping with a metal putty knife and it's still not all off. I don't know how they were done in the first place. What the heck would cause this! I don't want to waste my stripper anymore.
That tells you how important the proper profile is for adhesion. Whoever you paid to coat them cut corners. Powder shouldn't chip off.

For the inside that won't strip, you could try some rough sandpaper (80) to break through the coating and then try stripper again, or just sand it off as best you can - it is the inside. You didn't say if you had the ability to media blast, but that might remove it.

I'd prep the outside better than the last person did. If you are planning to do any amount of PC you need the proper stripping, blasting, and cleaning equipment and supplies.