Need Your Support & Advice

RubiconFreedom
My Location: North Eastern

Need Your Support & Advice

Post by RubiconFreedom » Thu May 30, 2019 6:47 am

First I'm not a powder coater, but I know what I like and want. We've been using this one powder coater for almost 10 years and they have been doing a great job. But the last time we visited them and told them what color we needed a few panels to be done, they didn't follow through.

We requested "silver vein" but ended up getting "black & white vein" two totally different colors. The chart shows both of these colors side by side and one darker than the other.
imageedit__2493441712.jpg
imageedit__2493441712.jpg (88.26 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Our panels returned to us like this:
imageedit_1_6112603835.jpg
imageedit_1_6112603835.jpg (66.84 KiB) Viewed 776 times
We located your site along with other sites that show the silver vein to be a dark gray color with silver veins running through it.. our end resulted doesn't look like this and the shop manager claims this is correct. later he adds that because we added the matte finish to the silver vein it's changed the color slightly. I can't seem to get him to realize that what we got is not what we ordered and hes not willing to make acceptations or admit that what he sent is not the silver vein we requested.

My question is, can any and all here verify that this image shows what silver vein should look like:
SilverVein.jpg
SilverVein.jpg (120.71 KiB) Viewed 776 times

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Need Your Support & Advice

Post by duke46 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:08 am

The silver vein in your picture is the correct one and I really can't see where the matte clear would have made it turn out that light?

It is not the first time a powder supplier has sent out the wrong powder and that might be the reason what he used is wrong or he just ordered the wrong one? Maybe he has never used a silver vein one before but if he looked up the color then he would see what it should have looked like.

Is the color chart you are showing is that who he gets his powder from or just a chart you found on the net?
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Thu May 30, 2019 9:14 am

Shoot a close-up of what you received.

The other photo is a typical silver vein.

A matte clear is going to lighten and "chalk-up" any color, and reduce the contrast significantly.

Normally you use a gloss clear to protect the metallic, which also deepens the color/contrast and magnifies the effect of the vein.

RubiconFreedom

Post by RubiconFreedom » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Thank you for the clarification. with some back and forth emails, our powder coater has said they will shoot these panels again any color we wanted if we're not pleased with their version of the silver vein. In order to make things easier on them, I've suggested that would it be ok if I order the powder the color we wanted on these panels. Also I suggested or asked them to figure up how much powder I need to do several other parts in the future. So does the powder go bad if not used right away or kept in a safe /secure location. I think what bothered me the most about our powder coaters emails is that in one voice he talked like he knows what he's doing, yet in another breath, he said he has no control over how the powder flows out of the gun.. Needless to say, We're going to take him up on his offer to make this right. I just fear this one time thing may have damaged our relationship on having other products powder coated by him in the future.

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:57 pm

RubiconFreedom wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:08 pm
So does the powder go bad if not used right away or kept in a safe /secure location. I think what bothered me the most about our powder coaters emails is that in one voice he talked like he knows what he's doing, yet in another breath, he said he has no control over how the powder flows out of the gun.. Needless to say, We're going to take him up on his offer to make this right. I just fear this one time thing may have damaged our relationship on having other products powder coated by him in the future.
Most powder keeps for a long time if the temps are kept in check - like 70-75F. If it's out in the shop over the summer it isn't going to last as long. Powders like veins and wrinkles are a bit pickier about age and temp because of the different chemistry. I've found that powder will flow less as it ages also. One year is not uncommon if stored properly. Manufactures usually quote 6 mo.

There are powders that are difficult, unpredictable, and inconsistent - that's why you do a test panel. I have certain types of powder that I won't use, but Silver Vein isn't usually that temperamental. If it is, you just need to try a different manufacturer.

RubiconFreedom

Post by RubiconFreedom » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Again thanks for the support and information. I've been told by our powder coaters that he will re-shoot our panels. But instead of making this difficult on him bu wanting textures or weird finishes, We've selected a new color.

Although I've submitted several colors we've thought close enough to our jeep color, none really looked identical. Going from Stirling charcoal, to dark gunmetal gray, we've selected "Cadillac Gray" w/ a Clear top coat. Some sites are listing Cadillac gray as being a dark gunmetal or charcoal color with metal flakes. All of these searches and different manufactures list nearly identical colors differently. One calls it dark charcoal gray while another calls is the Cadillac gray.

Our powder coated sent us three powder coating suppliers and had me check their colors. 2 of the three sites where very difficult to navigate. While the 3rd site I had actually bookmarked even before we learn our powder coaters used this company for their supplies. So we've submitted a new color: Cadillac gray

We're glad we've been given a chance to get this taken care of because I do not what this small issue we encountered to come between us and a powder coater we've know for many years. Once this color has been confirmed as being close enough, we'll have more products ranging from 2 bumpers, 2 sidesteps and more.

The only concern I have and I'd like input form other powder coaters, is that while fueling the jeep yesterday, the sun hit the hood and I saw the jeep again for the first time. It's know as Granite crystal. but it must have copper of gold flakes in the paint. Now I'm concern if the Cadillac gray will match this golden shimmer of the granite color. The above image kind of shows some copper or gold flakes so can any verify if Cadillac gray has or uses copper of gold flakes for the final finish.

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:58 pm

Not sure if I'm following correctly, but the only way you would know is to get an actual sprayed panel of the color you are considering to compare to the color your want to "match".

I say "match" because I never expect to "match" any painted color with powder.

Order a selection of color swatches from NIC and compare them to the desired color. That's about the only way to get close, but there are still variances in production and application that can shift a color one way or another.

RubiconFreedom

Post by RubiconFreedom » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:54 pm

Welp after a long wait (2-3 months) and two different colors, The modified powertank molle panels have returned and with the "Cadillac Grey" color. It looks just like it was made for it. The only difference and I'll not going to dispute it, is that the jeep Granite color has either a copper or gold color flakes to it, so when the sun hits it just right one can notice. These panels, being the Cadillac Grey color have a silver tint or flakes to it and thats the only difference.

To the untrained eye, if these panels were mounted on the jeep, it would look just like it was made for it. Knowing the color, we can now move on to having the side steps, front and rear bumpers powder coated the same color. But some time between now and having the side steps done, we'll be getting that Rampage truck conversion top, then the powertank mounting brackets.

So thanks to all those who offered support for my issue. Now onward to other projects.