How long will Powder Coating last?

Donald5512
My Location: Toronto

How long will Powder Coating last?

Post by Donald5512 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 am

Hi,

Does someone over here know in detail about powder coating? I'm planning to powder coat the equipment in my small-scale factory. I would like to know if any other coating method is better than this which could be done at a lower cost.

I have noticed a website mentioning the service. But I couldn't see any good comparisons between different techniques. and it's really difficult to find companies offering quality service at a reasonable rate. Hope someone could help with the details. Thanks in advance.

Jay V
My Location:

Re: How long will Powder Coating last?

Post by Jay V » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:43 am

Is this - http://www.automaticcoating.com/service ... r-coating/ - a company you are considering to do your powder coating?

I've never heard of them, but they look like they have a big facility and could handle most any type of job.

Powder coating is typically going to be the most durable finish you can put on a metallic piece, but the surface prep will have a lot to do with the long term durability. Most production coating typically uses a multi-step washing process as a prep before coating, unlike most custom coaters that use media blasting and chemical cleaning/pretreatment. The custom route is better overall, but significantly more time-consuming.

If cost is the major factor there are tons of corners that can be cut - so be careful what you ask for. Top quality work isn't going to be cheap.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:00 pm

There was a company that made mower decks and they went with the chemical type prepping process but they were having issues because their powder coating was failing way to soon so they stopped using that type process and started media blasting and then a prep and coating and never had any more coating failures. I think they used to blast to start with and then went the chemical way so now they are back doing it the way they started.

So keep that in mind if a salesman tries to talk you into using their chemical process.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:47 am

Does that help?

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:58 am

WARNING - RANT BELOW!

OK - this is the second time recently that a person has joined, posted a question or problem, then never returned to give additional information or answer questions - and I'm kinda ticked.

Members here take the time to help someone solve a problem, and they can't even answer questions or acknowledge the help. The least they can do is come back to post some info about what eventually solved the problem to help others that may encounter similar issues.

It does happen on all forums, no matter what the subject, and it just makes you want to stopping taking the time to try to help someone out.

Jay