RE: Chinesse 5 HP Single Phase Magnetic Starter Need Help

All things Air Compressor Related
jtsmith
My Location: Humboldt, KS

Re: RE: Chinesse 5 HP Single Phase Magnetic Starter Need Hel

Post by jtsmith » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:15 am

sw bill wrote:I must have missed the original post but why are you using this? If your pressure switch is bad there cheap to replace, If your going through them left and right then your motor is about shot.
I know this was an old post, but I learned the hard way this is not the case.

Most 5hp compressors draw at least 32-35 amps on start up. You will be hard pressed to find a pressure switch rated over 26 amps.

Now, for a normal person this may be fine, however, for us who do blasting, this is no good. Sooner or later, the mechanical contacts will weld themselves together.
You oughtta see what's in my garage, man is she hot!

jtsmith
My Location: Humboldt, KS

Re: RE: Chinesse 5 HP Single Phase Magnetic Starter Need Hel

Post by jtsmith » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:21 am

chewbacca5000 wrote:Ok so I have had a little time to test things out and I am tripping my thermal overload which is set at 23 amps. This is correct according to the motor repair shop who sold it to me. Any tips on troubleshooting would be appreciated. Sometimes it struggles a little to get going, and other times it will stop short of 175 PSI then trip wait a minute or so and start up again.

What should I be looking at pulley alignment, capacitors, wire gauge?
did you ever get this figured out?

Pretty sure I would set a 5hp motor overload to 30 amps. One wire size larger to the motor? . Check the caps on the motor, and check the blow back for proper operation.
You oughtta see what's in my garage, man is she hot!