RE: Chinesse 5 HP Single Phase Magnetic Starter Need Help

All things Air Compressor Related
chewbacca5000
My Location: Syracuse

Re: RE: Chinesse 5 HP Single Phase Magnetic Starter Need Hel

Post by chewbacca5000 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:10 pm

SCOTTRODS wrote:It wires up EXACTLY like the one I posted there... The "bottom" of the one I posted is just black instead of white like the rest of it. Simple To follow in my opinion.
Hi Scott,

Do you have a link to that post?

I am making some progress. I know now that A1 and A2 are the coil. I am also thinking that all the other contacts to the left and right of L1, L3 are auxiliary terminals. I am not sure they are needed for my application.

Also found a review on Amazon.com from a guy called ToolUser,
Needed to replace the starter on 5hp air compressor. This was the best price I could find and it works fine. One star off because the only wiring diagram it came with was for 3 phase power - this unit only works with single phase. That meant I had to puzzle through the set up and do a test hook up before installing, so it took longer than it should of.
Guess I will have to get out a volt ohm meter and test for continuity between L1, L3 and the other contacts to see what is what.

Also found this diagram http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... hp?t=98829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
MagStarter.jpg
MagStarter.jpg (32.71 KiB) Viewed 1672 times

chewbacca5000

Post by chewbacca5000 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:14 pm

sw bill wrote:I must have missed the original post but why are you using this? If your pressure switch is bad there cheap to replace, If your going through them left and right then your motor is about shot.
Sorry bill. To answer you question it's just a big heavy WEG 5 HP that draws around 23 amps run and I'd guess much more when it starting up. It is attached to a monster Kellogg A330 compressor Made in Rochester, NY. It was built in 1947 and still pumps air like you would not believe. Just think the pump / motor will without a mag starter would be a good combination to burn up pressure switches.
Attachments
4.JPG
4.JPG (126.19 KiB) Viewed 1672 times

chewbacca5000

Post by chewbacca5000 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:53 pm

Did some more testing and here is what I found

L1 no continuity to 13, 21, 14, or 22.

21 and 22 do have continuity to each other.

L3 no continuity to 43,31, 32, or 44

31 and 32 do have continuity to each other

So the idea that the extra contact on my starter which do not seem to appear on Scotts are auxiliary contacts.

So now my questions are:

Hooked up one side of the coil to 120v and the other to ground it horrible chatter! It looks like the manufacture puts a spring inside to keep the armatures from smashing into each other. Remove the spring and click. We got contact. At least I now know the coil works.

Now to figure out the thermal overload and pressure switch.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:48 am

I hope that orange cord you have going to the motor is just a temp one? It sure does not look big enough! All the wiring I have ever seen will either be black or gray and if a shot run from the fuse panel maybe white.
I am running the same size motor and they are used a lot for grain elevators for silos. I use the normal pressure switch and is the way it came but I am also using #8 stranded to it. But by the time the wire goes up over and back down to an outside room it is about 75' so had to go larger because of footage involved. Short run maybe #6 and #10 maybe a little small?
I did lose my first motor but I was feeding it with #10 and over time the loss in amperage because of the footage it gave up the ghost. I was real lucky and the place here in town had one to many and gave me a good deal. Those things are expensive.
I do agree that it should operate fine with just the normal pressure switch as mine has fo many years as long as it has the correct size wire feeding it.
Last edited by duke46 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chewbacca5000

Post by chewbacca5000 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:53 am

Ok here is what I was able to determine

L1 & L3 Power In
T1 & T3 Power to motor

A1 & A2 coil leads

95 & 96 are thermal protection (normal closed)

Will have to work more on this latter.

sw bill
My Location: grand rapids michiga

Post by sw bill » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 am

chewbacca5000 wrote:Ok here is what I was able to determine

L1 & L3 Power In
T1 & T3 Power to motor

A1 & A2 coil leads

95 & 96 are thermal protection (normal closed)

Will have to work more on this latter.
Isn't that what I said on the last page? Maybe you missed my reply.
Check us out on Facebook. Slacker garage shop SgS

chewbacca5000

Post by chewbacca5000 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Sorry Bill,

I was not ignoring what you said. Sometimes if I write things down they make more sense to me.

chewbacca5000

Post by chewbacca5000 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:32 pm

Ok guys I got it sorta! After deciding that the Chinese unit was more trouble than it was worth I went to an electric motor shop and got an Eaton magnetic contractor and thermal overload. The counter guy was extremely helpful and it was well worth the extra money.

I can't blame the Chinese one, but it did not feel like it was well built.

What I learned.

1. Don't be cheap on controls.
2. You don't need the auxiliary terminals for an air compressor. They are for other applications ie lathe or other machines.
3. The auxiliary terminals are on the left and right of the coil.
4. Coil is A1 and A2
5. You need to have 120v to A1 and A2 to get the coil to close and pass current.

Ok here is what I did. First turn off electricity.

1. L1 120v to 95 (one side of heater)
2. L2 to T3 jumper (needed to use this in single phase mode)
3. jumper 96 (other side of heater) to A2 one side of coil
4. L3 to pressure switch
5. Motor side of pressure switch back to A1 (other side of coil)
6. Attach all ground wires
7. T1 to motor
8. T2 to motor.

The whole thing was not that bad once I understood how the coil and overload works. I tested it out and it worked just fine the overload even kicked in which I was happy about.

Not sure if the pressure gauge is correct as it read close to 200 and the pressure switch is on at 140 and off at 175.

Next thing to do is to get the unload valve working so the head is not under load when it starts. All in all I am very happy so with the progress. With my Innersole Rand 5hp and the Kellogg 330 I should be pumping over 33 to 36 CFM.

chewbacca5000

Post by chewbacca5000 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks to all who helped me on this. As for the orange wire that is what the electrician put in, 10 gauge wire he said it would work, but I ain't going to burn up a 5 HP 1 phase motor by going cheap on the wire. I will be sure to add this to my project list. I got the WEG used and had bearings put in by the same shop that helped me with the starter and the pulley. I got $175 for a WEG with new bearings. Can't really afford the $500 to $600 for a new one.

I can't tell you guys how good it feels to have a handle on this. Been putting it off for months.

chewbacca5000

Post by chewbacca5000 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:49 am

Ok so I have had a little time to test things out and I am tripping my thermal overload which is set at 23 amps. This is correct according to the motor repair shop who sold it to me. Any tips on troubleshooting would be appreciated. Sometimes it struggles a little to get going, and other times it will stop short of 175 PSI then trip wait a minute or so and start up again.

What should I be looking at pulley alignment, capacitors, wire gauge?