Ingersoll Rand 5-HP Air Compressor VS Other

All things Air Compressor Related
sw bill
My Location: grand rapids michiga

Re: Ingersoll Rand 5-HP Air Compressor VS Other

Post by sw bill » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:59 pm

I looked hard at the IR when i bought mine but decided on the Quincy. I choose it on the name,reputation and mostly the warranty. With the Quincy I have a 5 year no question asked warranty. The IR motor life expectancy is 5000 hours, the Quincy is 50,000 hours, My Quincy motor went out after about 10 hours, they were decent to deal with on replacement but still a pita and i was down and using my backup for 3 weeks dealing with it.
My Quincy was only 300 more than the IR but if i had it do over I'm not sure what I would do, I would probably get the next step up Quincy.
Check us out on Facebook. Slacker garage shop SgS

RiegelPC
My Location: NJ

Post by RiegelPC » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:08 pm

SCOTTRODS wrote:I have an IR compressor and have been running the SNOT out of it for about 6 years now, I guess.... Mines a 60 gallon, 3.5 hp model I think. It really doesn't keep up well when blasting... but for everything else I'm good.
That amazing. this might solidify my purchase. How's the maintenance on them?

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:58 pm

RiegelPC wrote:
SCOTTRODS wrote:I have an IR compressor and have been running the SNOT out of it for about 6 years now, I guess.... Mines a 60 gallon, 3.5 hp model I think. It really doesn't keep up well when blasting... but for everything else I'm good.
That amazing. this might solidify my purchase. How's the maintenance on them?

ALl I ever do is Change the oil every so often.... I try to keep it around 6 months or less. I buy the oil they sell at the Store I bought it. (It's IR's Special Synthetic stuff... Pricey). Wanna Buy my compressor? LOL I want bigger and Stronger! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

RiegelPC

Post by RiegelPC » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:50 am

For those who have the 5hp 80 Gallon version how does it keep up with sandblasting?

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:44 am

RiegelPC wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the 5HP 60 Gallon one?
I have and have had the IR 2340L5 5hp two-stage 60gal compressor. Probably the best compressor I have ever purchased. I do alot of balsting so I also have another two-stage 5hp compressor to back it up when needed. It's a Campbell Hausfeld 60gal.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Detective Coating
My Location: Colonial Heights, VA

Post by Detective Coating » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:02 am

RiegelPC wrote:For those who have the 5hp 80 Gallon version how does it keep up with sandblasting?
I use a 100lb HF pot in my cabinet and it has 0 problem keeping up. I have the pot filled around 80-100psi and if I'm blasting for 20-30 minutes straight, it will refill once and shut back off, never stays constantly running no matter what I'm doing.
http://www.detectivecoating.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:32 am

Mine keeps up for cabinet blasting and damn near all of my booth blasting. The booth is why I have two compressors. It needs help with the booth because I use a larger nozzle on my blasting gun in the booth versus the cabinet. If you blast with a 1/8" nozzle you will be fine.
I have the same pressure blaster in the booth and attached to my cabinet as Detective Coatings.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RiegelPC

Post by RiegelPC » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks for all the great input. I will do a little more research and make my purchase tomorrow. Thank you everyone!

shag9499
My Location:

Post by shag9499 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:21 am

i have the 5 hp 80 gallon and an additional 100 lb tank and it keeps up fine when im running either the pressure pot or the suction type gun...i dont run it for hours on end but it cycles on and off nicely with the additional holding tank.

mtg125
My Location:

Post by mtg125 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:31 pm

RiegelPC wrote:For those who have the 5hp 80 Gallon version how does it keep up with sandblasting?
with the right nozzles it will keep up and if you are blasting bare metal it will be fine. If you dont have a stripping set up or a commercial blaster you can use I would suggest way more compressor than this.