Which compressor!

All things Air Compressor Related
ChicagoCustomPC
My Location: Northlake

Which compressor!

Post by ChicagoCustomPC » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:11 am

I am going with a 10hp 120gallon compressor or a for my wheel setup. I will be using it mostly for sandblasting. I have a 6x6x6 cabinet with 300lb direct pressure pot. I will also have 1 coating gun hooked up to this air setup and aux for easy plug in for a tool or what not. My question is, my direct pressure pot/setup is made to handle up to 28cfm. Im not to sure what this compressor puts out as the specs online do not say, and I usually use blast around 45-60psi. My question is, does anyone know the CFM on this kind of compressor? Does it sound like it can do 25-28cfm? And at what psi? I would like to rip these wheels apart and get all previous paint/powder off in a good amount of time. Anyone have a compressor input or good idea where to find a steal on one!

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Re: Which compressor!

Post by SCOTTRODS » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:39 am

IR says their 10 hp, 120 gallon model does 35 cfm at 175 psi... You'll probably be good.

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Post by WiseAssYT » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:06 am

Industrial compressors usually is HP x 4 , so a 10hp is about 40cfm, now as far as blasting paint goes should be ok but not lightning fast ,and for powder I hope you have a better plan then just blasting !

Miller821
My Location: Carbondale, IL

Post by Miller821 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:33 am

I've been looking at the 15hp eaton compressors (polar air). I'll probably be ordering one within the month. The thing that I like is the 5 yr bumper to bumper warranty. There 10hp like said is 38cfm @ 100psi.

Here's a link to there 10hp:
https://www.eatoncompressor.com/piston- ... compressor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigrhamr
My Location:

Post by Bigrhamr » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:11 am

What do you have for power? If single phase then 10 hp is about the max. You could run more than one pump on single if you have the amps available. If you have 3 ph that changes everything. My input would be to figure out the max size compressor you can afford, then get one about 4 times that size if you will be blasting a lot.
As mentioned blasting powdercoated wheels will be require a lot of patience. I have 40hp, over 160 CFM and can blast at 100 PSI with a 5/16" nozzle if I want to. Blasting powder off is still not something to look forward to.

ChicagoCustomPC
My Location: Northlake

Post by ChicagoCustomPC » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:11 pm

I purchased the 10hp 120 gallon compressor from Eaton. I understand the SCFM @100psi is 38. My question is this. I do not blast at 100 psi. I chemical strip now, and etch the wheel out with glass bead around 45-60 psi. I would like to achieve the highest CFM at that running psi. Is it lowered or higher-ed? Im confused on how the CFM works. They show 100psi being 38scfm and 175psi being 34scfm. So does that mean the lower the psi, the higher the CFM?

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Post by WiseAssYT » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:54 pm

I have the 80 gallon 10hp that I changed to a 7.5hp after I sold my business , It was still eaton when I bought it .
The warranty is good and not so good , if the motor breaks or the electric motor fails you will be sending it in on your dime while you wait ... And you will wait, combined with round trip shipping costs, in some cases the warranty isn't worth the warm fuzzy feeling you may be getting .

To me they are great,most bang for the buck,but if your not mechanically inclined , inept , or think the warranty is a something greater than it is you may want think deep about it,you will be doing all the work no labor or shipping is covered.
to some that is the reason for a warranty,and get upset when the realize the deal is based on sweat equity , but if your a capable person and don't have to call an electrician every time a breaker fails , then buying a compressor online isn't an issue for you .

I had a ground wire come loose the auto tank drain seized ,and I replaced a switch are the only issues I have had since 2006 with mine , it may be advantageous to ask if they would sell you one with no warranty and see if that may get a better price , if either the pump or motor fails it would be cheaper to buy new than pay round trip shipping

Miller821
My Location: Carbondale, IL

Post by Miller821 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:33 pm

ChicagoCustomPC wrote:I purchased the 10hp 120 gallon compressor from Eaton. I understand the SCFM @100psi is 38. My question is this. I do not blast at 100 psi. I chemical strip now, and etch the wheel out with glass bead around 45-60 psi. I would like to achieve the highest CFM at that running psi. Is it lowered or higher-ed? Im confused on how the CFM works. They show 100psi being 38scfm and 175psi being 34scfm. So does that mean the lower the psi, the higher the CFM?

The lower psi is going to give slightly more cfm. Not sure what 60psi is going to give you, maybe 41? Probably isn't going to be much higher.

Bigrhamr
My Location:

Post by Bigrhamr » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:59 am

ChicagoCustomPC wrote:I purchased the 10hp 120 gallon compressor from Eaton. I understand the SCFM @100psi is 38. My question is this. I do not blast at 100 psi. I chemical strip now, and etch the wheel out with glass bead around 45-60 psi. I would like to achieve the highest CFM at that running psi. Is it lowered or higher-ed? Im confused on how the CFM works. They show 100psi being 38scfm and 175psi being 34scfm. So does that mean the lower the psi, the higher the CFM?
You can't change the CFM the compressor will put out.
If the pump is working against 0 psi in the tank then it can pump more air then if the tank is at 175 psi.
The way to get the most blasting capability out of the air you have available is to use the biggest blast nozzle that you can and still maintain the pressure you need to blast effectively. For an exagerated example if you put a 1/2" blast nozzle on your setup and feed it with the 10 hp compressor it will flow the max cfm the compressor can make out of the blast nozzle, but at only a few psi so it would be useless.

oliviagrey
My Location: New york

Post by oliviagrey » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:37 am

I purchased an Eaton 7.5 HP, V4 Single Phase 80 Gallon Vertical Air Compressor for industrial purpose approx 2 years ago. It was working fine :P , now I am looking for rotary air compressor should I go with Eatoncompressor only or try some new brands also.

Although I know that there are various types of rotary screw air compressors available in the market today, the single stage oil-injected compressor is used in most of the industries. Its a 24*7 working device, so really important to find right product which works efficiently. :?: