I screwed up by not paying attention.

All things Air Compressor Related
Dano
My Location:

I screwed up by not paying attention.

Post by Dano » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:00 am

My normal daily shop closing includes a lot of steps, one of which is turning off the big compressor. Looks like I got distracted and missed that simple thing and didn't get back to the shop for several days.

When I got there today I could hear the thing running and went straight to it Looks like it may have been running for a long time but only had 100 psi built up. It's set to turn on at 120 and shut down at 150. It was warmer than usual but not screaming hot.

I don't really need 150 or even 120 to run the PowerMax 30 to which the compressor is dedicated. I'm thinking about resetting the limits to kick in around 70 and off at just below the max it is capable of churning out. That will give me some time to find someone to have a good look at it. Those fellers are few and far between in this size town and this unit is one of the big pallet mounted jobs, buried in the back of the shop and not forklift accessible,

Opinions?
Dano.
Custom Plasma Cutting.
Serving Laramie, Wyoming since Thursday.
Droberts@ironpequod.com - (615)300-2882

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: I screwed up by not paying attention.

Post by duke46 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:44 am

1) intake valve failing
2) gaskets leaking at a certain pressure
3) pressure valve failing
There could be other things involved too, but as I say, typically, these are the big three.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ngonerogwu
My Location: Evansville, IN

Post by Ngonerogwu » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:05 am

duke46 wrote:1) intake valve failing
2) gaskets leaking at a certain pressure
3) pressure valve failing
There could be other things involved too, but as I say, typically, these are the big three.

The one way check valve between the tank and pump is a common one to go out, mine was BAD, and i still built to 175 and shut off.

The safety valves apparently go out, but i've never seen that.

Could be a leaking reed valve in the head, mine wasn't bad, just very dirty and couldnt get a seal.. still built to 175.

My head gasket was leaking.. still built to 175.

Soo, while none of this may directly relate to you, my point is this: Once mine did shut off.. the bleed down noise was obvious. So, so obvious. And it wasn't just one of those things. Once I torqued down the head so the gasket didnt leak.. was still making leaking noises, just not as loud (still obvious).. same with the other issues until they were all sorted.

So since everything duke and I listed have to do with leaks, and leaks seem like they'd always involve noise..which you didnt mention... maybe its the pressure switch? It could go bad and only allow 100psi. Well, maybe thats wrong because it would probably shut off.

Hmm.

I'm gonna go with leaking (worse than mine) reed valve. That would not allow the piston to completely build pressure, which would explain why its not getting to shut off psi.. yet keeps running. I wanna say you should hear that quite easily if you take the air filter off and listen.

Bigrhamr
My Location:

Post by Bigrhamr » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:26 pm

In most piston type compressors the valves in the head are supposed to be inspected or serviced pretty often. If they get dirty, weak springs, cracks, etc.. then it will start dropping pressure.
They are usually pretty easy to inspect, google the brand and model of compressor and you should be able to find instructions and parts. If it is running, not leaking to the outside anywhere but not building enough pressure then the problem very likely lies with valves. Also possible but less likely and more serious would be rings. Piston compressors are really pretty easy to diagnose once you understand what each component does.

Dano
My Location:

Post by Dano » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks guys,

I've has problems with the cheap design of the on/off switch with this unit. It will occasionally not stay in the off position.
The ball valve was shut off, so I may have turned off the power switch too. That's the routine.

I think I'll start at the pressure control switches and go from there. ..just hate to get into a tear down too soon.
It's an oil sump compressor and there was plenty of oil showing in the sight window and no obvious oil leaks. Kinda hard to listen for air leakage over the noise the thing makes.
Dano.
Custom Plasma Cutting.
Serving Laramie, Wyoming since Thursday.
Droberts@ironpequod.com - (615)300-2882

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:47 pm

Not ever have to mess with the ones I have then how is the best way to find a leak? Maybe put air into it like a reg auto or any motor when doing a leak down test?

Kind of reminds me of need a pair of glasses to repair your glasses and can't see shit without a pair own :lol: :lol:

But if the tank will hold air then you would have your leak down air source.

If lucky maybe it is your pressure switch and I have replaced my a few times over the last 20 years. They will just cut out to soon I think??? But you if watching could see that happen real easy. My main compressor has the switch but my secondary compressor does not and when I cut it on then it runs till I cut it off. I had installed a continuous run valve on it because it was operated by a gas Briggs motor but when I went electric with it I just left it. It is only used when the pot blaster is being used and both compressor are piggy backed. and no need for it under normal shop cabinet blasting unless both cabinets are being used at the same time by me and my blaster friend.

Hope you get it figured out Dano. :D
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JMT
My Location:

Post by JMT » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:24 am

My pressure switch just recently started going bad on my 5 hp 2 stage Quincy. It sounds identical to what's happening to you. Similiar circumstances...Lol! I guess mine didn't like the cold weather and as soon as I bought a new pressure switch it quit acting up. I adjusted the point where it kicks in on the old pressure switch ( lowered it) and it stopped running on past where it should. Now I have an expensive back up spare if it does it again...Hah! Best of luck...John