piggy back tank

All things Air Compressor Related
o1Marc
My Location:

piggy back tank

Post by o1Marc » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm getting a new 60gallon, 3.7hp, 155psi compressor for $300 to replace the smaller unit I've been using since my pump blew on the bigger compressor. My question is what benefit will I get if I use the old 80 gallon tank in line with the new compressor?

red717
My Location: oregon

Re: piggy back tank

Post by red717 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:14 pm

If you have the room, go for it. It would double your storage reserve, plus give the air a good place to drop out some moisture and oil contaminates. Also it would help with cooling the air down a little before it hits your first water separator. I have two 80 gallon tanks on mine and it works pretty well. I have my second tank about 30 feet from the main one. It in itself acts as a giant water separator catching 3 times as much moisture as the main tank. Use metal piping as much as you can to connect the two. It helps dissipate some of the heat. You'll need some heavy duty hose to connect the main compressor tank to the piping. It needs to quell the vibrations before it goes to the metal pipe. If you decide to piggyback them just connect the two with one flexible hose. You might wanna check your old tank to see what pressure it's rated for. On a side note--- You might want to lower your cutout from 155. 120 will do you good and save on the electric bill, plus it won't create as much heat and is easier on the motor.

Ngonerogwu
My Location: Evansville, IN

Post by Ngonerogwu » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:13 am

Wouldn't filling both tanks be really hard on that size compressor?

o1Marc
My Location:

Post by o1Marc » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:18 pm

Ngonerogwu wrote:Wouldn't filling both tanks be really hard on that size compressor?
No harder than if you running below capacity on the initial compressor.

red717
My Location: oregon

Post by red717 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:14 pm

It's harder on a compressor to make high pressures than it is to make high volume. When you start trying to build over 110-120 PSI then you have issues. The compressor gets hotter than hell, then you'll start having head gasket issues, your discharge air is hotter thus causing moisture issues. Hot air holds more moisture than cool air. I see a lot of people turn up the pressure on their compressors so they have more air for blasting. I would rather have two tanks. I would have extended blast time, less moisture problems, and not kill my compressor doing it. Just my opinion.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:09 pm

+ us guys need to get rid of the little fitting that most all use and get the high volume ones that the hole is double what is normal. With them you are ready to really rock and roll with less restriction.

They made a mistake in their listing of these fitting and I bought the copper ones. The ones I have been using from 2011 were made in Japan. Most overseas companies use them if they need the higher volume along with the US and other countries. One thing for sure it made all my air tools come alive and they can now do what they were intended to do and that goes along with any blasting items you have. I am not the only coater that uses them.

http://www.jbtoolsales.com/milton-s760- ... gQodyIwARQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shag9499
My Location:

Post by shag9499 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:21 pm

plus if you keep the tank you could possibly find a motor and pump to mount to it when the need arises. i have a spare 100 gallon tank inline and planing on mounting a eaton pump and motor when i come across a resonable motor