Cutters check in thread

alleykat
My Location:

Cutters check in thread

Post by alleykat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:31 am

Im a soon to be cutter and just wondering what setups people here are running.

I've decided on...

-Plasmaroute CNC "Blaze HD" table
-Thermal Dynamics A60 machine torch

I searched for months up and down before I settled on this choice.Few reasons were because every single customer I found was really happy with everything.I tried so hard to find a pissed off customer but I haven't found one yet.Also the table included a watertable in the price so it was a big plus.Im a few grand short before I place my deposit in but i WILL be on the cutter team. :mrgreen: I just dont wanna have a big balance left to pay when machine is ready for pickup.

-What table are you guys running and with what torch?
-What is thickest material you cut?
-Are there any things you would have done different as in torch size?
-Is there any big ups or downs to your equipment?

Also one big questions would be what do you do with your table? I need my table to make production parts.I wouldn't mind making other stuff to get $ back on investment though but im short on ideas.

-Alex

Dano
My Location:

Re: Cutters check in thread

Post by Dano » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:12 am

Alex,
Good choice on the table & cutter. Feels good to have settled on the equipment, doesn't it?
What to do with it (beyond your original business needs) is a good question.

My core business is cutting and I chose powder coating to enhance my product. I do not paint and won't have any rattle-cans in my shop. I just can't let my stuff go out into the world with that kind of finish.
But I don't want to be known as a powder coater. It may sound strange to all you custom coaters, but I don't want to be found with a Google search as a Coater. That may change as I get better at coating and get a bigger oven and better equipment but I'm 'sizing' the shop to coat what I cut. I just don't want the cutting equipment to sit idle because I'm spending all my time coating. There is too much invested it it. But our situations are exactly reversed. You are a coater that can also provde cutting. We are both in a good place, but have to manage the customer expectations.

Now,,, what to make extra bucks on.
Here in Wyoming (especially Laramie, with the University being here), the big thing is that bucking horse figure. I have an 'elevator talk' speech that goes like this;
"Have you seen those bucking horse sillouettes that are hanging on fences and houses?".
Everybody nods Yes... You can't miss them.
"Do you know where I can get one?".
Nobody seems to know and the guesses they come up with are all wrong.
I hand them my card and say "Now you do...".
This is a good niche, as I can easily 'size' them to meet the customers wants. I just cut one at 48" hat to hoof. The customer gave it to her father and he had it hanging on his house within the hour on Christmas morning. That's gonna bring in some business!

As a coater (first) who can cut, you may want to avoid the custom cutter tag. Five minutes on the table may cost you several hours of design and setup time. If you can find something that is meaningful to your local area (like the bucking horse is here), make a few of them and put them in your display to show off the colors you can offer them in. Settle in on a limted selection of shop/garage signs that only need minimal changes, like changing 'Mikes garage' to 'Joes garage'. Those are things that bring in some good bucks. Over time, you'll build a wider variety to choose from but let that happen on your schedule. Try to avoid requests like finding a '68 Camero convertable to add to the sign. Your time just flies out the window along with a bunch of $$$.
Dano.
Custom Plasma Cutting.
Serving Laramie, Wyoming since Thursday.
Droberts@ironpequod.com - (615)300-2882

JandJ
My Location:

Post by JandJ » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:04 am

Grats!!!
I run a 4x8 torchmate table, with a thermal dynamics cutmaster 81. 1/4" is about the thickest I usually cut. I primarily cut metal art, but use it occasionally for producing small parts in quantity. I have had 0 regrets with my purchase, and have had very little problems with my table.

Judd
Jandjmetalshaping@comcast.net
Feel free to e-mail me if I can help in any way!

alleykat
My Location:

Post by alleykat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:56 am

Good info guys!

I know someone on here has a Torchmate 2x2.Maybe he will chime in sooner or later.

SSPowderCoating
My Location:

Post by SSPowderCoating » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:40 pm

I've got a Torchmate 2x2 with a Thermodynamics A60

SSPowderCoating
My Location:

Post by SSPowderCoating » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:26 am

A customer came in with a sticky note of a rough drawing of a sign he wanted made. And he also wanted me to powder coat it the same color as his truck and I decided to surprise him and add the white strips to match his truck also.

Made a custom fan shroud for my father and used the Torchmate 2x2 to cut out the center.
Very little dross and most spots didn't have any.

Dano
My Location:

Post by Dano » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Those stripes were a nice touch. Things like that seperate the commercial coaters from the custom coaters.

How do you deal with the dross?
I like a crisp edge, so I use a belt samder. The twisted wire cups and flap disks tend to round off the edges and leave a non-uniform pattern.
Crisp edges a tough to deal with when using powders that are prone to edge-pull or picture framing but most of my customers seem to prefer that look. Lucky me!
Last edited by Dano on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dano.
Custom Plasma Cutting.

alleykat
My Location:

Post by alleykat » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:13 pm

My down payment is officially on the way for my 4x4 table. :mrgreen:

Now to keep busy so I dont get too anxious.

Whats good is we can just pick up the table 6 hrs away and it will be completely setup so no guess work on assembly.

Dano
My Location:

Post by Dano » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:15 pm

alleykat wrote:My down payment is officially on the way for my 4x4 table. :mrgreen:

Now to keep busy so I dont get too anxious.

Whats good is we can just pick up the table 6 hrs away and it will be completely setup so no guess work on assembly.

Congrats on the big step!
Dano.
Custom Plasma Cutting.

alleykat
My Location:

Post by alleykat » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Dano wrote:Congrats on the big step!
Im hyped up like no other right now.Next investment a pro gun for coating.

Since we're picking up the table the legs will be bolted and everything ready to go.Im taking my autocad friend that designs my current scooter parts so he can pay attention in the free class they're gonna give.Then he can just relay the info to me at my pace. :lol:

Here's a vid about the table from a customer.

http://vimeo.com/34062303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;