settings for ITW GEMA PCG-1

Support & testimonies for Powder365 powder coating guns
stummel78
My Location: Germany

settings for ITW GEMA PCG-1

Post by stummel78 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 am

Hello...

I'm from Germany and here I don't have forums like this....

I have an part time business with powder coating smaller parts, wheels....motorbike parts....

The last 10 years I used a columbia coating gun (hypersmooth with multicoat nozzle)....

Last week I bought an older Gema PCG-1 and at the Weekend I tried to powder some parts....orrrrh....primer I could do, but the second coat...I could cry out...I lowered the kv but It looked like I blow up the powder at all edges...
I used the flat spray nozzle and if I had enough powder on the surfaces it jumped away....

Do you have any tips for me

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: settings for ITW GEMA PCG-1

Post by duke46 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:32 pm

I have the same old type unit and I was so busy with having to find and buy a new pump for my compressor I forgot what I wanted to check as for as my normal settings.

I did write myself a note to check this time.

The unit you have been using may be just as good as the Gema that you know how to use already?

The only way I can coat a wheel is to lay it down and have it grounded and the gravity works in my favor :) Then I hang it and shoot the back side and the tire mounting area and then one last coat on the front side and all goes really well.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stummel78

Post by stummel78 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:18 am

Thanks Dude for your answer....

With the old hypersmooth I can make second or more coats easy....I don't know another gun but this is an easy gun...i can regulate the air flow and with this the powder ammount is also regulated....and I can lower the kV...that's all...

The Gema I bought to have a back up...but I couldn't work with it...
Normaly it works with box feed and vibrating plate, but this part I don't have. Now I ordered a fluidizing hopper and a additional powder pump...If I'm still to stupid to work with it, I will sell it and buy a colo or Kafan System...in hope I can work better :-)

stummel78

Post by stummel78 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:15 am

a question to the grounding....

My powder booth is made of OSB....in the upper area there is a bar made of steel. My hypersmooth ground Clip hangs at this rod...everything is good....

Do I Need a ground Connection with the grounding board of my hole Building under theelectric terminal box? Will it help?

duke46

Post by duke46 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:40 am

stummel78 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:15 am
a question to the grounding....

My powder booth is made of OSB....in the upper area there is a bar made of steel. My hypersmooth ground Clip hangs at this rod...everything is good....

Do I Need a ground Connection with the grounding board of my hole Building under theelectric terminal box? Will it help?
When I first started I just used the ground from the unit I was using at the time and also a wire from my outlet ground to the rod I was hanging my parts on and didn't have any problems and my powder coating area was like 40 feet from my electrical panel and its ground rod.

After I got my used Gema I did install an 8' ground rod right outside my booth and ran a #6 ground wire to a clamp and then it clamped to my rod I would hang things on and that is the proper way to ground for powder coating and a lot of guys over the years have had to install one so they could do second coats and that is what you may have to do for the Gema to work like it should? You are looking for as close to 0 you can get on the installed rod. That all depend on the type of soil you have in a lot of cases and how damp the soil is where you place it.

From what I have read and when using any powder coating equipment they say do not use the grounds on the units and only use your ground rod you placed connected to the rod or rack you are using for coating. I have always had all the grounds connected right or wrong but I have no problems coating and can do 3 or even 4 coats as long as my hook and area I am connected to is clean.

Right after I got my Gema I do go to the Gema site and found all the manuals for it. It does give you a lot of info but for really using it when it comes down to coating but it does help a bunch. I might could send it to you maybe if you can't find it on their site?

duke46

Post by duke46 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:50 pm

Here is some info as to how I have my settings on my Gema
The feed air to my unit if not mistaken is like 45 psi but it should be able to handle 90 psi but 45 has worked well for me and have gone down to 25 at one time like one guy told me to try but I don't remember what I was trying to coat at that time???

This info will be from the left side then going to the right.
1st knob and gauge is the conveying air (black Cloud) I have mine set half way between 0 and 1 and I adjust as needed.
2nd knob is the supplementary air (white cloud) I try to keep the little ball in the middle the best I can
3rd knob is for rinsing air to keep the tip of your gun clean and I just keep it low. To much and it can and will blow off powder I have found out.
Most of the time I keep my kV's between 75 and 90
I checked the uA setting and it is on 10? It has been many years from me messing around with that setting and I don't remember a darn thing about what it should be but the unit works for me but I bet that someone that had used one in the past and there is or was a couple of guys that helped me out that had used one way in their past.

That is about the help I can give you I think except that I keep my air adjusted really low coming into my fluidizing plate on my hopper and I will start the air coming into it real easy and then add my powder and adjust as needed. I don't care for powder blowing back in my face or it being turned to high and powder come out of the top or the breather hose.

Have a good one and let me know if you get it working so you can use it if lucky :)

stummel78

Post by stummel78 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:43 am

Thanks a lot, you are a real DUKE :-)

I'll try again if the fluidizing hopper arrives.

The ground cable I will install at the weekend...(if I find time)...so much polaris-parts wait for powder coating :-)

The Manual of GEMA I found on their site and I will have a look....and then...I hope it will run....

I will keep you up to date....