Issue with new EZ50

Support & testimonies for Powder365 powder coating guns
Motoguy
My Location: MO

Re: Issue with new EZ50

Post by Motoguy » Sat May 13, 2017 1:05 pm

SCOTTRODS wrote:Drop the grounds off your hanging rod(gun ground clamp to hanging rod is not particularly necessary) and use only the ground rod ground to the part... whatever the means... it has been seen that , at times, there have been folks find other items grounded to their grounding rod can add interference from whatever is added... I recommend using the "dedicated grounding rod" specifically for grounding parts only. Anything else that needs a ground ( in the lower grade guns for sure) use building system ground, isolated from your part. You could add a separate grounding rod ( far away from your existing rod) for electrical system grounds.
I'll give that a shot. Easy enough to unclip them, and zip tie them up.

Daniel44114
My Location: United States

Post by Daniel44114 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm

I managed to find a few other people who had posted they had similar problems with the ez50 power supply dying. I ended up ordering a replacement power supply the day I posted this thread originally, which arrived quickly and made the gun work again for a little while, before dying after a few hours of use. At this point the gun has been sent back to Caswell for inspection/repair, but I'm pretty disappointed in how unreliable the gun and power supply are. The spraying performance when functional was pretty good, but I can't have my gun broken every 3 items I spray and have to constantly order power supplies at $20/piece.

At this point I'm looking to upgrade to a more reliable system, but not 100% sure how far I need to go. I've looked at different systems in a variety of price ranges, but can't really get a good comparison beyond immediately similar guns anywhere. Everything I'm spraying is custom colors, usually bike frames or smaller (1lb or less of powder per item), so large hopper systems are not necessary and seem like they would be more of a nuisance to clean when switching colors.

Things I liked about the Redline:
-Cup system gave relatively consistent powder flow
-Easy to clean
-Good application/attraction characteristics. Didn't create a lot of overspray/wasted powder.
-Minimal application problems. Didn't have to shake the gun for powder to flow, Faraday areas were not a problem, cold multi-coating was not a problem

I don't really feel the need for a better spraying system at this point, just a more reliable one. The Redline only has a 30-day warranty which should have been a clue it wasn't built to last, but finding unfavorable reviews of the ez-50 was not particularly easy. I've been looking towards the KoolKoat/Hyper Smooth/SpectraCoat systems from their various suppliers. As far as I can tell, they all appear to be similar systems with slightly different housings and prices. The only other thing I can see that's significantly different is the Spectracoat guns from PBTP come with a 30 day money back and 1 year manufacturer warranty, whereas the other two seem to have a 30 day warranty and that's all. Could you or anyone else give some input on these systems relative to the redline ez-50 in terms of performance and durability? Are there any other systems I should be considering alongside these? Might it be possible I just get a different, more reliable power supply instead of the OEM Redline one? Thanks!

Motoguy
My Location: MO

Post by Motoguy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:18 pm

I finally sold the POS Redline. New owner figured I "wasn't using it correctly". Don't know how he fared with it.

I replaced it with another EW DV, then said hell with it, and purchased a Colo 181 box feed, which I converted to cup gun. Worlds better. I'm really digging it. I doubt a Gema will be as much of a step up from the Colo, as the Colo was from the EW DV. However, I figure my next gun will be a Gema.

I feel the EW DV, Colo, Gema ladder is a pretty good way to go, to get the most value for your dollar spent. Each step up, the old gun becomes a good backup gun.