wx-958 Help

Support & testimonies for Powder365 powder coating guns
airjam21
My Location: Phoenix

wx-958 Help

Post by airjam21 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:07 pm

I own a business that requires me to powder coat and started off with the EZ-50 gun. I grew tired of constantly having to change the canister to I bought a wx-958.

https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Coating- ... 484&sr=8-1.

I'm quite frankly lost on how to properly set it up and adjust the settings. The manual is thin and worthless. I'm hoping to connect with somebody and speak over the phone and also pick their brain about powder coating in general -- happy to pay for your time.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: wx-958 Help

Post by duke46 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:16 am

The unit you bought is just like the Gema 1 unit that was made in the 90's and even their manual does not tell you how to set them up and I think that is true for all units. You have to learn by the seat of your pants they say.
I bought my old unit from one of the guys on here but the guy that helped me the most to get it up and going was one of our guys in Canada.

I can help you with the adjustment but it would be a lot easier if you had your all hooked up and ready even without powder in it and then we talk on the phone and then I could look at my setting and then you set yours the same way and after that you can adjust it to suit yourself.

As long as you have all the lines connected up right then you should be good to go after we talk. I just looked to see if I had the instructions that the guy gave me but could not find anything :( You can download the Gema PPG one unit from the Gema site but I am having no luck finding the link I need??

I can't use my Cell in my shop and I only use my business line and I do not make long distance calls on it so you will have to call me on your dime but remember you are a few hours behind me because I live on the east coast and you are in AZ.

Message back what times you would be ready to set your unit up and then I will let you know if I can do it. I could call you on my cell and then let you know I am going to my shop and you can call me back.

I will be coating some parts today maybe around 1 or so after I get back from town. I want be able to help you while I am coating but can after I put the parts in my oven.

Got to go for now so I will catch you latter and I will be watching this post waiting on a reply but only when I am in the house.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

airjam21
My Location: Phoenix

Post by airjam21 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:58 pm

Thank you so much for the offer! I sent you a message via your website with my contact info (couldn't find out how to PM you on here).

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:41 am

airjam21 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:58 pm
Thank you so much for the offer! I sent you a message via your website with my contact info (couldn't find out how to PM you on here).
I have not received one for whatever reason? I will PM you and you can answer back. You have to have X number of post before you can PM someone and I don't remember how many that is?

MichaelDH
My Location: Indiana

Post by MichaelDH » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:54 pm

I bought this same system a couple of weeks ago. The manual that came with it was pretty useless. I did find one video online showing the hose connections, and I've been using it, but I still have some questions about the set up.

Nothing shows exactly where you connect your air hose from the compressor. With the hoses hooked up according to the video, the only place available is the back side of the air/water separator. Is that correct?

How much air pressure should be coming in from the compressor? A lot of people say you only need 10-20 lbs but I can't get powder to move at that low of a pressure. At 40 lbs I can spray powder, but the air knob, even turned all the way up, doesn't show any movement on the gauge. I can go to 80 lbs and then the air gauge shows movement and I can adjust it, but is that too high of a PSI?

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:25 am

MichaelDH wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:54 pm
I bought this same system a couple of weeks ago. The manual that came with it was pretty useless. I did find one video online showing the hose connections, and I've been using it, but I still have some questions about the set up.

Nothing shows exactly where you connect your air hose from the compressor. With the hoses hooked up according to the video, the only place available is the back side of the air/water separator. Is that correct?
I wish I could see a picture of the back side of the unit because I am not understanding the air/water separator you are talking about?

How much air pressure should be coming in from the compressor? A lot of people say you only need 10-20 lbs but I can't get powder to move at that low of a pressure. At 40 lbs I can spray powder, but the air knob, even turned all the way up, doesn't show any movement on the gauge. I can go to 80 lbs and then the air gauge shows movement and I can adjust it, but is that too high of a PSI?
With any luck the other guy has his figured out by now and can maybe help you? My unit is old and the hook ups on the back may be diff than yours but I will try to take a picture and then post it and that may or may not help? I will see if I can do that today.

The guy that helped me get my old unit going sent me this info and it should help both of you with any luck?
[quoteGema Test by Baz

Duke , it s been a few years since I used a PG1 but here is what I remember on the settings , give it a try and let me know how it works .
first set your incoming air to the unit to about 50 or 60 lbs,
the set your left control ( powder volume)to desired cloud, then set the supplementary air so that the ball is floating in the lower part of the green area ,
next adjust rinsing air so that the ball just begins to float , now push on the kv button ( you do remember that it is a push pull switch)with the switch pushed adjust the kv to about 40 or 50 (remember that when you pull the trigger the kv will go down when you get closer to the part , now that the kv is set pull on that same kv switch and set the ua limiter to 30 or 40 ua , next put powder in the hopper with just enough air so that the powder starts to fluidize and make sure the breather on the hopper is not blocked , now give this a try on some of those faraday spot and if you still have problem go back to your control unit air inlet and take it from the 60 or 50 lbs initial setting and take it down to about 35 lbs and try it again . let me know what results you are getting.

once you get the right settings on that gun you will have a very performing unit , i was able to get easily 6 coats on parts and was able to do multiple coats Inside those cylinder fins on harley cylinder heads .][/quote]

MichaelDH

Post by MichaelDH » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:55 pm

Duke, thanks for the response, I'll get some pictures and post them in a day or two.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:49 pm

I don't need a picture of the back of the unit. I have already seen it by the way.

I guess this is the video you guys have watched? At least my old Gema has diff color lines and that is great for me for sure :D I only use a small hopper and the one you have do have the larger ones but the basic are the same as for a hookup. You might want to click on the Colo videos because they are also the same as what you bought and they are all copies of my old Gema 1 unit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCmvugS1wOg

At least my old unit is in English :lol: I am going to try to upload the pictures and I have them the correct size but for some damn reason I have not been able to upload after doing it for all these years on here??

I will upload them one way or the other but here is the info as for as connecting the airlines up.
1.1 is your input air feed
1.2 and 1.3 go to the pump on your hopper (1.4 is the power to the gun) and they have to be connected correctly for it to work. If you swap them then your pump will not do what it should do so you will have to swap the two around on the pump or back of the controller. My connectors are color coated and no problem. In fact, if your order them they come that way, so no more guesswork :) All of them being red could be a real PAIN IN THE ASS for sure :(

Now let me see if I can upload my two pictures without having to use another source??

Damn it didn't work again?

Last edited by duke46 on Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelDH

Post by MichaelDH » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:58 pm

Yes, that is the video, and I have my lines set up that way. In the video, on the support post, opposite side of the air regulator is an air/water separator. Nothing shows where the air supply hooks up from the compressor, but there is only one place on the separator where a line does not go to anything, so my assumption is that is for the air supply. I hate assuming, though.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:16 pm

I managed to post the pictures so I hope it helps you guys?