Removing powder dust, newb

News from Powder 365, New products, Specials
snowman
My Location:

Post by snowman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Ok here is my dilemma, I've been coating in my garage and have got dust on my project car, well it's stuck on there almost like overspray, I tried washing it today and its stuck on, short of maybe a clay bar and/or rubbing compound, any ideas?

It's almost as if humidity mixed in and made it like glue. If I soak it In glass cleaner it makes it a lil easier to get off.

It's only on the top and left side of the car, where I shoot powder

xkreedx
My Location:

Post by xkreedx » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Clay bar it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

powderkeg
My Location: Washington

Re: Removing powder dust, newb

Post by powderkeg » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Try a little vinegar, otherwise I'd go the clay bar route.

T1CC
My Location:

Post by T1CC » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:20 pm

What about using a solvent that wont damage the paint, like denatured alcohol or methyl hydrate?

snowman
My Location:

Post by snowman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Well it's definitely powder, candy purple lol judging by te razor blade on the windows.

Ill get a clay bar tomorrow and try some vinegar

snowman
My Location:

Post by snowman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:46 pm

No go on the vinegar.
Are best guess is when we rolled it out the powder semi cured it the heat, 105ish outside. Hope the clay bar works and I don't have to wet sand it all :(

burn504
My Location:

Re: Re: Removing powder dust, newb

Post by burn504 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:13 pm

snowman wrote:No go on the vinegar.
Are best guess is when we rolled it out the powder semi cured it the heat, 105ish outside. Hope the clay bar works and I don't have to wet sand it all :(
Denatured alcohol.... And if that doesn't work.. lacquer thinner. Works perfect

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

burn504
My Location:

Post by burn504 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:14 pm

And rinse frequently..

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:31 am

Well I screwed up a few years ago and painted my son's job box with rust-oleum paint but had forgot I had a few of my black sample panels laying flat maybe 8' away. Well a few days later I saw them. So I said what the heck and used regular enamel thinner to remove the over spray and it worked. Enamel thinner will not damage powder. Not real sure what mineral spirits would do as far as removing the powder but it will not damage anything either. I think it all depends on what type of paint is on your car. So do a test first. It might save you a bunch of trouble and time?

You might give it a try? The powder has not been fully cured so it just might work.

Lacquer thinner will destroy anything so do not try it. It is almost as bad a MEK or Acetone.

Now you have learned a good lesion and even though powder can be just blown off easy it gets every where and you garage will never be the same. it would take me days and more days to wash down my paint booth where I use to paint cars if I wanted to paint one again. So now I have to get a car ready to paint and take it somewhere and pay to have it done :( You need a good booth to spray you powder and even then when you have to sift it or anything else it needs to be placed somewhere so it can be pulled out of you garage through filters because even the dust from the powder will get on every thing just as bad as spraying it.

Coater have had to pay to get cars repainted before because of the powder getting on cars close by their shops and it could have been cleaned off but got screwed and had to paid for a new paint job.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

snowman
My Location:

Post by snowman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:49 am

Yep, lesson learned about the powder, used lacquer thinner and it took it off just fine, washed it reall good after then buffed and polished it, then waxed it.

From now on I'm gonna move the car out and have a makeshift booth. I have used thinner before to remove Berliner too. It small quantities of overspray. I guess I was lucky it was only a few ody panels, over wise it may have come out worse.

Thanks for the help guys