How do u heat your garage??

News from Powder 365, New products, Specials
Bigrhamr
My Location:

Re: How do u heat your garage??

Post by Bigrhamr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:34 am

The source of heat isn't really very important unless you have the building sealed up so you aren't heating the outdoors. Is that drop ceiling insulated? If not that's the first concern since all your heat is going straight up and out.

spdracr
My Location:

Re: Re: How do u heat your garage??

Post by spdracr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:51 am

Bigrhamr wrote:The source of heat isn't really very important unless you have the building sealed up so you aren't heating the outdoors. Is that drop ceiling insulated? If not that's the first concern since all your heat is going straight up and out.
Not insulated but the attic has a full floor so the heat doesn't go straight up there per se.

Once my garage heats up it retains the heat good. I am just looking for a way to heat it quicker than the lil heater that I have.

DustysPC
My Location:

Post by DustysPC » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:33 am

I have a 7500 watt electric heater but I use it to keep warm but not to warm it up. For that I have a 200000 btu propane heater that will warm it from 35-40 degrees to 80 in about 4 minute. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 599_503599" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My shop is clay block like you see in locker rooms without the glazing and I put up 3/4 inch foil backed foam insulation and sheetrock. Be careful not to insulate it too well or when the oven runs alot it will cook you out.

spdracr
My Location:

Re: Re: How do u heat your garage??

Post by spdracr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:37 pm

DustysPC wrote:I have a 7500 watt electric heater but I use it to keep warm but not to warm it up. For that I have a 200000 btu propane heater that will warm it from 35-40 degrees to 80 in about 4 minute. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 599_503599" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My shop is clay block like you see in locker rooms without the glazing and I put up 3/4 inch foil backed foam insulation and sheetrock. Be careful not to insulate it too well or when the oven runs alot it will cook you out.
I read somewhere else where a guy used a similar propane heater to heat up his garage to about comfortable temperature then uses another one to maintain it.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:34 am

You can also convert a home oil furnace to burn used oil. All I remember right now is you need a heater to warm up the oil. I think it heats the oil up just before it get to the burner. A friend of mine has that in his home 3 bay garage and he said it works fine and he has one of the other commercial units at his business.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevinbrown96
My Location:

Post by kevinbrown96 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:12 am

For heating a garage, I would go with some of the most economical heating specifically heating with natural gas. Natural gas heating is available in 2 main options: forced-air systems and infrared tube heaters. Forced-air heaters blow warm air through a vent, and infrared systems radiate heat from a metal heating element. Going economical in these two option Forced air heater would be best to go with.

Dirty904
My Location:

How do u heat your garage??

Post by Dirty904 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:24 am

I have a clean burn waste oil furnace... Best money I ever spent!!! It hears my 2000 sq ft shop with 14' high ceilings for around if not less then $20 a month in Indiana!!!!

Get baked at dirty powder coating!!

shockwavepc
My Location:

Post by shockwavepc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:20 am

I am in a 22x38 and use eden pure heaters. They are 110v and barely cost anything to run. It would be great to initially get the garage warm with a propane heater, but once it's warm it maintains it very well. My garage is insulated very well and we just insulated the ceiling this past year so it should be even better this winter.

Carey

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:47 am

I use natural gas radiant heaters in my garage (also where I use to pc),at my shop I have central air. The radiant heaters in my garage I have used since they first come out and have never had a cold issue. Plus when the power goes out they still work. They are cheap to run and easy to install.

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-coo ... -12905.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;