How do u heat your garage??

News from Powder 365, New products, Specials
spdracr
My Location:

Post by spdracr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:29 pm

My garage is roughly 25x25 I'm using a propane heater but it struggles on very cold nights. I am considering a baseboard heater running on 220v and puts out 2500w. Will that be good?? I'm open to other ideas as well.

I insulated the garage door. Garage walls are cinder blocks. Drop ceiling with an attic above it. One side door and a double window.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: How do u heat your garage??

Post by duke46 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:43 pm

Run ad for 3 fat broads and have ice cream and cake for them to eat and you be warm :mrgreen:

Can you insulate down into the block? Going base board heat is not cost effective that I have ever heard of.

There are guys on here that can tell you what is best to use and they will jump in and help you if they can.

You need to whole place insulated as best you can. The block once it is warm will stay warm and hold the heat but not if you cut it off for the evening.

Radiant heat with gas or elect from the ceiling would be my choice and from what I have been around it did a great job. I was really surprised of how well it did in and non insulated metal building but the way it was installed it keep the guy warm in his work area around the truck he was working on.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spdracr
My Location:

Post by spdracr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:49 pm

I am also considering a kerosene heater if they don't require venting fumes. I'm considering insulating over the blocks but not till next winter.

Dirty904
My Location:

Post by Dirty904 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:23 pm

I have a clean burn cb-1400 and it prolly cost me about $30-40 a month to heat my 42x48 shop with 14' ceilings!!!

spdracr
My Location:

Re: Re: How do u heat your garage??

Post by spdracr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:56 pm

Dirty904 wrote:I have a clean burn cb-1400 and it prolly cost me about $30-40 a month to heat my 42x48 shop with 14' ceilings!!!
I glanced at its specs since I don't know what it is. It uses used oil but also requires electric and air compressor?? I'm confused so if u don't mind explain a lil more I would appreciate it.

shag9499
My Location:

Post by shag9499 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:02 pm

im using an old gas furnace from a house trailor coverted to propane with a 100lb tank.

Dirty904
My Location:

Post by Dirty904 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:00 pm

It's a 140,000 btu. Waste oil furnace!! It runs off of used motor oil! Mine goes through a gal of oil for every hour it is running! As for the electric and air. The electoric is for the preheater and igniter, the air is what blows the motor oil across the igniter!! That's why it's so cheap all I'm paying for is the little bit my compressor runs and the electoric it uses!! I get all my oil from a couple local farmers! It goes through ~1000 gallons a yr to heat my shop. The best is there is no smell smoke or spot to speak of!!!

spdracr
My Location:

Re: Re: How do u heat your garage??

Post by spdracr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:18 pm

Dirty904 wrote:It's a 140,000 btu. Waste oil furnace!! It runs off of used motor oil! Mine goes through a gal of oil for every hour it is running! As for the electric and air. The electoric is for the preheater and igniter, the air is what blows the motor oil across the igniter!! That's why it's so cheap all I'm paying for is the little bit my compressor runs and the electoric it uses!! I get all my oil from a couple local farmers! It goes through ~1000 gallons a yr to heat my shop. The best is there is no smell smoke or spot to speak of!!!
That sounds all good but I don't have any source for used oil!!

burn504
My Location:

Re: Re: Re: How do u heat your garage??

Post by burn504 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:00 am

spdracr wrote:
Dirty904 wrote:It's a 140,000 btu. Waste oil furnace!! It runs off of used motor oil! Mine goes through a gal of oil for every hour it is running! As for the electric and air. The electoric is for the preheater and igniter, the air is what blows the motor oil across the igniter!! That's why it's so cheap all I'm paying for is the little bit my compressor runs and the electoric it uses!! I get all my oil from a couple local farmers! It goes through ~1000 gallons a yr to heat my shop. The best is there is no smell smoke or spot to speak of!!!
That sounds all good but I don't have any source for used oil!!
Gal of oil an hour doesnt sound cheap at all

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Dirty904
My Location:

Post by Dirty904 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:24 am

It's used motor oil so it's free.... And that is a hour of run time! So if it runs for 10min then shuts of for 20min you use 1/6 of a gallon of oil in in 30min... But most important the oil is free. You can get it anywhere I had a couple small car lots I use to get it from and a small service shop...