Viper valve Covers

News from Powder 365, New products, Specials
TorksPerformance
My Location: Crawford Tx

Viper valve Covers

Post by TorksPerformance » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Has anyone else messed with a few sets? I got a new customer and he has been bringing me a lot of business. Over 5 sets of Valve covers and Intakes manifolds off Vipers. The intakes are simple strip, outgas, blast and coat. The valve covers are another story. I believe they are magnesium. I cannot seem to out gas them enough. The casting is horrible. One set I even added over 7 coats of KL primer and still had to hand sand and do a lot of work into the part. Is there a trick to these things? Every time he brings his stuff in he backs the shop up a day. I'm a 1 man operation. My process is

Strip With B17,
Out Gas for 45min - 2hours depends on how much oil keeps coming off of them.
Blast With Aluminum Oxide 80-100 grit mix
Coat with KL Primer
And shoot the color.
On the next set I'm going to shoot some pictures. I currently have a set that I've put 3 coats of KL primer shot gloss white on it. didn't turn out that great. so I'm laying another coat of KL down now. I just can't believe how crappy these covers look stripped

Thanks ahead of time.

RideIndustries
My Location: Canada

Re: Viper valve Covers

Post by RideIndustries » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Red Oxide primer applied at 450 or as close to it as possible should easily take care of it. KL is easy to sand and good for filling minor imperfections, but I wouldn't even bother trying it for outgassing issues.

If they are magnesium, it should be fairly obvious when you put them in the B17 as it'll eat them if you aren't careful. They can't be left in it very long and need to be rinsed thoroughly (pressure washing is ideal), it'll continue to eat them if it's not rinsed properly.

TorksPerformance

Post by TorksPerformance » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:26 pm

RideIndustries wrote:Red Oxide primer applied at 450 or as close to it as possible should easily take care of it. KL is easy to sand and good for filling minor imperfections, but I wouldn't even bother trying it for outgassing issues.

If they are magnesium, it should be fairly obvious when you put them in the B17 as it'll eat them if you aren't careful. They can't be left in it very long and need to be rinsed thoroughly (pressure washing is ideal), it'll continue to eat them if it's not rinsed properly.
thanks for the quick reply I thought about trying some red oxide primer. I'm mainly using the KL to fix the imperfections. which is a lot. I have noticed they bubble more in the B17. And I pressure wash everything just out of habit. Ill try some red oxide on the next set.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:09 pm

Get you some regular house whole white vinegar like used in cooking. When in doubt just pour a little on the part. If it foams up then it is magnesium.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TorksPerformance

Post by TorksPerformance » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:09 pm

heres some completed stuff
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150336355 ... res/m3k62f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;