Wrinkle red issues

News from Powder 365, New products, Specials
DannyS
My Location: NH

Wrinkle red issues

Post by DannyS » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Hey all, having some issues with some wrinkle powders mainly on valve covers.
Prep is done the same as on all other parts. Strip with b17, sandblast, rinse off and clean, outgas, mask, hang and alcohol clean then coat at 45kv and cure at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. For some reason I'm getting flat spots at different areas, (or shiny spots). I try and coat the VC pretty evenly. Also I have a 8 foot grounding rod about 6 feet into the ground and meshed with my hanging rod.

I've also tried:
Coating cold
Coating warm
Changing Kev settings
Coated laying flat
Coated hanging off a hook
Turning fans on in oven

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Wrinkle red issues

Post by duke46 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:51 am

Wrinkles need to be applied heaver than reg powder. Veins and textures are the same except maybe the fine texture ones.

You can take your cover and give it an etch blasting then blow it off and wash it with a little Dawn or Purple Power mixed with water and then if you have hot water then rinse it real good. The hot water will get rid of the static charge the blasting caused or blow off and put in the oven like at 150 to dry it good. If you like you can ten spray it down with denatured alc. Do not wipe it down. You should never wipe any thing down that has been blasted because of the lint that can cause you problems because of the profile left by the blasting.
You don't need to get to heavy handed when reapplying except in the shinny areas. You don't need to much build up. With you having B17 it might be best to strip and start over.

Making sure they are well fluidized or the bag shook good also helps
That should take care of your problem. It always has for me at least.

Valve covers should be B17 first and then washed off then outgassed till they stop smoking. Then blasted. This will bake out all the oil and turn old oil into like an ash and then can be blasted off.
Last edited by duke46 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DannyS
My Location: NH

Post by DannyS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:04 am

Thanks! I really appreciate the help and I'll give that a try.

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Post by WiseAssYT » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:53 am

When you say curing for 20 min at 400 is that oven temp or part temp ?

Generally glossy spots or flat areas in a textured coating is to thin of a coating , or under cured.

But as duke pointed out your process was off a little also. Any way to measure the coating ?

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:30 am

This may also help you understand wrinkles and others like it.

Most all companies and guys will tell you to place the parts in a preheated oven and this way the part and that type of powder will do a lot better and quicker. My small oven heat up so quick I do not always preheat them and sometimes I do. But all I have done wrinkle like they should at least for me.

I am also not used to seeing 20 min as for as time. So what powder are you using?

Read over these instructions from APP and he is a great person to also buy from.

http://www.allpowderpaints.com/content/crinkle.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;