clear coat issue

News from Powder 365, New products, Specials
Shinertx
My Location: texas

clear coat issue

Post by Shinertx » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:16 pm

question on clear coat.

I shot some clear on a black part some of the clear looks like it bubbled up on me, can I sand it down and try to polish it out.
first time have had this issue any words of wisdom would be great. thank Robert

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: clear coat issue

Post by duke46 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:11 am

That would be a crap shoot. If it did bubble then did the clear bubble or did the black one bubble? With a bubble then it pulled away from one or the other so when you try and sand it then there will be a depression. Sanding all out smooth again or strip the whole piece and try again.

You also need to figure out what caused it? Have you used the same powder base coat before and then cleared it without any issues or is this a diff one? I would not think the clear would be the problem but could be? I would say the base coat would be the problem or the metal itself?

It is not the first time that a base coat would come out fine but then once a top coat was put over it then that could happen. When it does there might have been real small pin holes that you didn't see in the base and then the clear tried to seal it and you end up with a bubble. The metal might have tried to outgas on you or there was very small holes in it that the eye can't see. Sometimes shooting a part hot might seal them up and then maybe not? The use of the high temp correct red oxide primer applied at 450 degrees is what has to be used sometimes. It can be tricky to apply. You shoot the part and if you have your mess together then it will melt and be real shinny and then once it cools down you can apply your color. If it comes out rough then you have to smooth it out and then prep and top coat. Not really something us guys really like to do but sometimes it is necessary. When having to do that on a customer part then you need to make sure you have added that into your price.

Any aluminum that has been exposed to salt conditions like ocean and heavy road salt then this is about the only cure and then hope you win. A part that has a factory coating on it and in fair shape might have been protected? You have to look real good for bad areas that the coating has come off and there may be problems that come from that area only. I have some times once the item is ready for coating shot the RO just in those areas and once cool then sanded to feather it in nice and smooth and then top coat.

Best of luck to you.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shinertx
My Location: texas

Re: clear coat issue

Post by Shinertx » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Duke, thanks for replying back to me I should have worded it different, the black came out fine I pulled the part out let it cooled and than reshot the clear to it has some parts that came out nice and shiny and other parts looks like across from fish eye and bubble, it just so happened that I just cleared 5 pcs before this one and they came out fine the last one sucked bad.
My question is can I wet sand the clear and than buff it out or is just best to strip and re-shoot the part I have been using the same powder and gun for some time now with no problems eastwood dual voltage gun & east wood powder once again thanks for the in put. Robert