Top coat application woes...

News from Powder 365, New products, Specials
Beej504
My Location: Canada

Top coat application woes...

Post by Beej504 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:31 pm

Hey guys!

New to the forum and somewhat new to powdercoating. I have been costing through summer without fault, doing yeti’s and small automotive products.

I went to do a yeti today after some weeks away with my day job and saw an unusual finish as I started to apply the top coat - has anyone got any ideas as to what may cause this?

I thought perhaps bad ground but I have done many cups and never had these issues. I also cleaned it off, re cleaned my cup jig and ensure ground was good. It still happened.

Perhaps environment? It’s got a bit colder here now, about 1 degree Celsius during the day and high humidity with snow around the corner (Vancouver BC, Canada). Never tried to apply powder through winter here.

I have attached a picture here... it could be totally fine but just don’t want to bake it on considering I’ve never seen it later like this...

Thanks for any advice!
Attachments
227C3BB9-DF70-4083-8350-78BC6DCCFC54.jpeg
227C3BB9-DF70-4083-8350-78BC6DCCFC54.jpeg (64.57 KiB) Viewed 998 times

MuDDuQ
My Location:

Re: Top coat application woes...

Post by MuDDuQ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:14 pm

you say top coat is this the 2nd coat of powder? has it been sandblasted? if this is a 2nd coat and if you have the ability meaning you dont need to pull decals or tape try warming the cup to about 150 and shoot top coat again
CreativeDust Powdercoating
Champaign Il area
Don

Beej504
My Location: Canada

Re: Top coat application woes...

Post by Beej504 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Thanks for the tip. I am going to try that tonight, was thinking that might help but I know I’ll probably be committed at that point So wanted an experienced opinion first haha!

Yes second coat sorry, used to be a painter :lol:

First coat went on fine, I’ve done this combo probably 5+ times just never seen this clear do that so kinda irked me (Prismatic cosmic clear).