My Location:

Re: Apex Custom Coating Gallery

Post by Jay V » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:23 am

A few of the more interesting/challenging recent jobs -

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:29 am

Hey Jay, I havent been on in a while but it looks like you are still doing great work. Hope you are coming thru the
covid crap ok and you and your family are safe and well.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:06 pm

hjeades wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:29 am
Hey Jay, I havent been on in a while but it looks like you are still doing great work. Hope you are coming thru the
covid crap ok and you and your family are safe and well.
Thanks Harley - hope all is well with you also.

So far...so good...

Still plugging along - work is up and down.

Take care!

Jay

migger49
My Location: GA

Post by migger49 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:22 pm

Jay V wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:23 am
A few of the more interesting/challenging recent jobs -

Totally neat works, man! Nice

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:53 am

Thanks!

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:16 pm

A few recent jobs -

Before and After -

hjeades

Post by hjeades » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 am

Very nice Jay!! I like the nice clean lines on the masking.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:09 am

Thanks Harley.

That tiny step on the motorcycle hubs is the biggest pain.

I always get a kick when people tell me - "you don't need to worry about coating this or that area" - like it makes it easier and cheaper.

As we all know - coating an entire piece is easy. It's the areas you don't coat that make it challenging.

Had to do the bike pedals twice. First time the guy brings in an orange handlebar grip for color match. He installs them and sends me a pic. It looks terrible. The orange forks and details on the rest of the bike are the Fox color - which is much deeper than the grip color (also the same as a KTM Orange - RAL 2009 is what I used).

Anyway, I told him I'd redo them for him - I just couldn't stand the way it looked.
Last edited by Jay V on Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hjeades

Post by hjeades » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:22 pm

I hope you had the color in stock. I'm redoing a set of morotcycle wheels now. A guy wanted gloss black with a red pin stripe and the raised area in the center of the wheel (Honda) red on top of that also. I get the wheels done
and keep in mind he choose the color. He says the red doesnt match the red my painter just painted my bike.
Lets change the red to a silver. :o Cause its so easy to do. He thought I would have them that same day even.
A NO!! lol Oh well I felt bad and since I had the colors here I switched them. People just dont think masking
takes long and why cant you do it as fast as you tube or the other guy. A well I do quality work not walmart work.
Harley

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:23 pm

hjeades wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:22 pm
I hope you had the color in stock. I'm redoing a set of morotcycle wheels now. A guy wanted gloss black with a red pin stripe and the raised area in the center of the wheel (Honda) red on top of that also. I get the wheels done
and keep in mind he choose the color. He says the red doesnt match the red my painter just painted my bike.
Lets change the red to a silver. :o Cause its so easy to do. He thought I would have them that same day even.
A NO!! lol Oh well I felt bad and since I had the colors here I switched them. People just dont think masking
takes long and why cant you do it as fast as you tube or the other guy. A well I do quality work not walmart work.
I did have it luckily.

That wheel sounds complicated, even more complicated the second time. Masking for multiple colors is a bear.

I've done some crazy masking on wheels, but pass on that stuff now.

This set taught me a lesson -