Jay V wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:22 am
hjeades wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:16 am
Great job Jay!
Thanks Harley.

Hope all is well with you.

Jay
Everything is good thanks. I hope you and the family are doing good as well.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jay V
My Location:

Re: Apex Custom Coating Gallery

Post by Jay V » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:42 am

One of the more interesting, and challenging, jobs recently -

1950s (I think) Chainsaw. Lots of cast and small parts (bolts, nuts), detailed masking, and a challenging cylinder. I though Harley cylinders were tough, this one had super tight fins. Casting were kinda crude, but didn't give me any issues after cleaning and outgassing.

Did it cold with the EZ50 without too much trouble though. I like to be able to turn the cylinder and use gravity to help overcome Faraday, and luckily there were threaded holes on the sides so I could. Doing them hot just builds too much on the easy to coat areas IMO.

The tank (white) did give me a few surprises. The elbows on the bottom where the fuel exits were soldered on, and fell off in the oven when I put it in to burn off any internal residue after cleaning. Dripped solder all over, and the customer will be epoxying them back in place. I masked the mount areas so the epoxy will adhere. Wasn't expecting that.
Last edited by Jay V on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wicked Powder
My Location: Manchester, CT

Post by Wicked Powder » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:51 am

Looks great ! The look on my face when the solder joints let go in the oven would have been priceless :lol: I would have dreaded that phone call.

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:47 am

Looks awesome as usual Jay. I shoot my parts cold as well and I turn the cylinders to insure 100% coating as
well. I did a restore job on a 1971 Rupp mini bike. The gas tank for it was solder together. I was doing paper
work when I heard something hit the ground. I looked in the oven to see half of the tank still on the hook and
the other half on the floor. :o Man that sucked. I brazed it back together and coated it again. Whats the story
with the engine block sittin on rods for feet?
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:13 pm

hjeades wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:47 am
Looks awesome as usual Jay. I shoot my parts cold as well and I turn the cylinders to insure 100% coating as
well. I did a restore job on a 1971 Rupp mini bike. The gas tank for it was solder together. I was doing paper
work when I heard something hit the ground. I looked in the oven to see half of the tank still on the hook and
the other half on the floor.
:o Man that sucked. I brazed it back together and coated it again.

Whats the story with the engine block sittin on rods for feet?
Oy! I wouldn't have expected that either.

It's an aluminum block from a Mercedes V8 that I made into a table. Coated it in Silver Vein and Gloss Clear like other items in the office -

I like to make stuff from parts -

hjeades

Post by hjeades » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:19 pm

Thats cool. Reminded me of one I did for a customer. Everything that would normally be bare metal I did in
Super Chrome/ Acrylic Clear and then did the rest in RAL-2002. The customer put a motorcycle battery in
the main web area and the leds to light it up. Let me know if its ok I will post up the pics of it. Dont want to post
in your gallery without permission.
Harley

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:37 pm

^ No problem Harley - go ahead and post it.

Jay

hjeades

Post by hjeades » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Thanks Jay
ResizerImage800X600.jpg
ResizerImage800X600.jpg (76.43 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
ResizerImage800X450.jpg
ResizerImage800X450.jpg (103.41 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
ResizerImage800X450 (2).jpg
ResizerImage800X450 (2).jpg (86.82 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Harley

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:00 am

^ Nice work there Harley - as usual.

Hope it was an aluminum block.

hjeades

Post by hjeades » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Jay V wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:00 am
^ Nice work there Harley - as usual.

Hope it was an aluminum block.
Thanks. No its an actual cast iron Chevy block. I used a engine stand for outgassing and then blasting. I have
a oven rack that has removable post and top rack so I mounted it on that for coating.

Engine On Rack.jpg
Engine On Rack.jpg (140.68 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
Harley