New to the Powdercoat world!

Welcome to Powder 365
13clicks
My Location: 95975

New to the Powdercoat world!

Post by 13clicks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:44 pm

Hello powder people! I have an opportunity to start a small Powdercoat business. I want to start the business off the right way first and not buy the equipment twice. I’m not made of money but I have saved up for this venture.

Any help finding used or new equipment in the Northern California area would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Blake.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: New to the Powdercoat world!

Post by duke46 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:08 am

Welcome to the forum and hope you can get the info you need/
1st do you know how to powder coat already?
2nd are you going to be coating at your home or in a building on your property?
3rd if you are not going to be coating at your place then you will have to find a place you can rent and one where you will be able to use for coating but in most cases your oven and booth will have to professional ones so they will pass your city or county codes. They can get really expensive. Some inspectors think of powder as painting and it is in no way the same but they may require you to have things that you do not need because they do not know enough about the coating process and what they may require can cost you a bunch.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

13clicks

Post by 13clicks » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:01 pm

I’m new and have never Powdercoated but I’m a do it yourselfer. I am starting this out in my shop on my property and not too worried about the city as we are in the boonies. I have a large shop and I already have a consistent customer that will be throwing me tons of parts when I’m up and running. I’m also in the hotrod scene in my area so I’m sure I will be business there as well.

Things I am needing info for...

1- oven size?
2- I’m going with a propane oven system (thermostat and PID wiring info)
3- do people build their spray booths?
4- is there any sales on equipment right now?
5- the gun I want to buy once so I’ll probably go with a dual voltage unit.

Thanks in advance.
Blake.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:59 am

13clicks wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:01 pm

1- oven size? something on the order of a 4x4x8 even though it will be a little smaller unless you do a lot of piecing out of sheet metal. The inside of mine that I had built is 79x40x44. It will handle most all auto and MC parts and some I hang by hand and some with on my roll in rack. I have not tried one yet but I think it will handle a Camaro sub frame?

2- I’m going with a propane oven system (thermostat and PID wiring info) easy install and wiring is super easy and nothing completed about it, You just need a PID that is made to operate a relay and a TC for it to get the oven temps for operating it, It needs to be vented to the outside 4" vent and if you are going through a combustible wall then you just buy a through the wall vent that gas heaters use. Best unit size is a 125-175,000 btu auto fire unit. You also need to buy a good IR reader/gun for taking temperature readings of your parts. If your powder calls for 400 degrees for 10 min then you part has to be at 400 for the powder to fully cure.

3- do people build their spray booths? Most guys do build their own and it also needs to vent outside and the vent aiming down. There should be some nice builds here on the forum if you can find them? They will be in the ovens and spray booth area.

4- is there any sales on equipment right now? Not very often. Some may post on here but most of the time you find stuff like that on eBay. You just have to know what to look for and then if it will work for you?

5- the gun I want to buy once so I’ll probably go with a dual voltage unit. Some guys do fine with the dual voltage Eastwood unit and some not so well. Depending on the type of soil you have then you need to install a 8' ground rod to feed your spray booth where you will be hanging parts or connecting to your rack when coating. Some guys have a heck of a time getting a proper ground because of where the live and the type of soil they have. Some guys have to contact their local power company construction dept for that type of info or a commercial electric company.

Thanks in advance.
Blake.
To build your oven correct you need to at least use commercial studs without holes for the main frame of it and then you can use the lighter weight ones in between. I lot of guys are building the floorless ovens and that make it easier to roll in racks and you can buy the high temp roller for them easy. You just need to put down a heaver piece of galvanized sheeting on your floor so your floor is protected and also makes cleaning easy + rolling in your items. I have a lot of info on parts and items you need for your oven but nothing on the studs or sheet metal. You will have to source that on your own.

At one time here on the forum there were free downloads that covered grounding and the powder coating manual but after the forum crashed a few years back it is gone and you sure do need that info and it would have helped you a lot. I have the manual that I could zip up and send it to your email if you like? You can click on my name to the right and then go down and click on my web site and go to contact us and fill in your info and then I will have your email address. Don't try to print out the manual so just save it and you can read what you want. It is just to large to print for sure.

If you know how to paint then that is a + but you are going to find out really quick that powder will not always go where you want it to because of the electrical charge and you will understand very quick what is called the Faraday effect. Sometimes a part will have to be heated up to get powder to go into those areas maybe 150 to 200 degrees but once it goes then just let the part cool down like to 100 and finish your shoot.

You are also going to learn what outgassing is early on. Steel is not as bad as aluminum but parts have to be cleaned very very well and then put into a oven and set to 450 and then outgassed for 30 min to an hour. Once it has cooled down then you can media blast it and blow it off good and then prep and coat and then hope all goes well. I you ever mess up a piece then you will find out just how hard it is to media blast it off without a pot blaster. Some guys will burn it off but most of us use a good chemical stripper to remove power and paint but it can be dangerous to be around for sure but at least you are out in the country so that is good.

Well I guess I will stop now and let you read what I have said and think really hard about what you are wanting to do. But if I were you I would just start off with a reg size home oven( you could use a gas oven also but make sure the burner stays covered up like normal and the EW gun (just don't buy powder from EW because they charge you double what it is worth) You might get a package deal on the EW gun and get some powder and other goodies that you will need so just look at what they have.

Best of luck guy.

SilverJK
My Location: Australia

Post by SilverJK » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:23 pm

duke46 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:59 am
I have the manual that I could zip up and send it to your email if you like? You can click on my name to the right and then go down and click on my web site and go to contact us and fill in your info and then I will have your email address.
Hey Duke, if it's alright can I take you up on that offer too? I've been Cerakoting for some time now, and I'm about to branch off into powder coating and while I've done a tiny bit of it before, I'm essentially totally new to it, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:08 am

SilverJK wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:23 pm
duke46 wrote:
I have the manual that I could zip up and send it to your email if you like? You can click on my name to the right and then go down and click on my web site and go to contact us and fill in your info and then I will have your email address.
Hey Duke, if it's alright can I take you up on that offer too? I've been Cerakoting for some time now, and I'm about to branch off into powder coating and while I've done a tiny bit of it before, I'm essentially totally new to it, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I just need your email.

13clicks

Post by 13clicks » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:43 pm

duke46 wrote:
13clicks wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:01 pm

1- oven size? something on the order of a 4x4x8 even though it will be a little smaller unless you do a lot of piecing out of sheet metal. The inside of mine that I had built is 79x40x44. It will handle most all auto and MC parts and some I hang by hand and some with on my roll in rack. I have not tried one yet but I think it will handle a Camaro sub frame?

2- I’m going with a propane oven system (thermostat and PID wiring info) easy install and wiring is super easy and nothing completed about it, You just need a PID that is made to operate a relay and a TC for it to get the oven temps for operating it, It needs to be vented to the outside 4" vent and if you are going through a combustible wall then you just buy a through the wall vent that gas heaters use. Best unit size is a 125-175,000 btu auto fire unit. You also need to buy a good IR reader/gun for taking temperature readings of your parts. If your powder calls for 400 degrees for 10 min then you part has to be at 400 for the powder to fully cure.

3- do people build their spray booths? Most guys do build their own and it also needs to vent outside and the vent aiming down. There should be some nice builds here on the forum if you can find them? They will be in the ovens and spray booth area.

4- is there any sales on equipment right now? Not very often. Some may post on here but most of the time you find stuff like that on eBay. You just have to know what to look for and then if it will work for you?

5- the gun I want to buy once so I’ll probably go with a dual voltage unit. Some guys do fine with the dual voltage Eastwood unit and some not so well. Depending on the type of soil you have then you need to install a 8' ground rod to feed your spray booth where you will be hanging parts or connecting to your rack when coating. Some guys have a heck of a time getting a proper ground because of where the live and the type of soil they have. Some guys have to contact their local power company construction dept for that type of info or a commercial electric company.

Thanks in advance.
Blake.
To build your oven correct you need to at least use commercial studs without holes for the main frame of it and then you can use the lighter weight ones in between. I lot of guys are building the floorless ovens and that make it easier to roll in racks and you can buy the high temp roller for them easy. You just need to put down a heaver piece of galvanized sheeting on your floor so your floor is protected and also makes cleaning easy + rolling in your items. I have a lot of info on parts and items you need for your oven but nothing on the studs or sheet metal. You will have to source that on your own.

At one time here on the forum there were free downloads that covered grounding and the powder coating manual but after the forum crashed a few years back it is gone and you sure do need that info and it would have helped you a lot. I have the manual that I could zip up and send it to your email if you like? You can click on my name to the right and then go down and click on my web site and go to contact us and fill in your info and then I will have your email address. Don't try to print out the manual so just save it and you can read what you want. It is just to large to print for sure.

If you know how to paint then that is a + but you are going to find out really quick that powder will not always go where you want it to because of the electrical charge and you will understand very quick what is called the Faraday effect. Sometimes a part will have to be heated up to get powder to go into those areas maybe 150 to 200 degrees but once it goes then just let the part cool down like to 100 and finish your shoot.

You are also going to learn what outgassing is early on. Steel is not as bad as aluminum but parts have to be cleaned very very well and then put into a oven and set to 450 and then outgassed for 30 min to an hour. Once it has cooled down then you can media blast it and blow it off good and then prep and coat and then hope all goes well. I you ever mess up a piece then you will find out just how hard it is to media blast it off without a pot blaster. Some guys will burn it off but most of us use a good chemical stripper to remove power and paint but it can be dangerous to be around for sure but at least you are out in the country so that is good.

Well I guess I will stop now and let you read what I have said and think really hard about what you are wanting to do. But if I were you I would just start off with a reg size home oven( you could use a gas oven also but make sure the burner stays covered up like normal and the EW gun (just don't buy powder from EW because they charge you double what it is worth) You might get a package deal on the EW gun and get some powder and other goodies that you will need so just look at what they have.

Best of luck guy.
Thank you for all your info...

I have been working on my oven and bought a WX 101 gun. I will post a few pictures and a video of my oven and progress.

I have done 2 different parts to test on and they went ok but need improvement... one had some Faraday imperfections and the other had a few fisheyes. Both are easy to fix in the prep and spray technique.

I am half way through the big oven build... I have a 225,000 BTU propane heater I'm going to use once I finish the frame and insulation... see video below.

https://youtu.be/2f29GkLOqeQ

13clicks

Post by 13clicks » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:49 pm

duke46 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:08 am
SilverJK wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:23 pm
duke46 wrote:
I just need your email.
Duke, Can you please send me that manual also? 13clicks@gmail.com

Thanks for all your info.... :D

duke46

Post by duke46 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:58 pm

I just sent you a Zip file
13clicks@gmail.com