Powder coating Motor Cycle parts

Welcome to Powder 365
Gjanes
My Location: Enid okla

Powder coating Motor Cycle parts

Post by Gjanes » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:37 pm

I am new to this forum and need some answers

I am powder coating some motor cycle parts. Some of the parts are covers for the engine and transmission. Is it ok to powder coat the inside of these parts. I don't want it to flake off.

Harleydad
My Location:

Re: Powder coating Motor Cycle parts

Post by Harleydad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:45 pm

Do not coat the inside. mask it off.
I love my country, but fear my Government

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations - James Madison

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:41 am

I agree - never a good idea to coat the inside of any part that is on the inside of the engine.

Kevin
My Location: US

Post by Kevin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:17 am

And even if the inside of the parts are powder coated, if will peel off with the passage of time. The heat generated will not allow it to remain intact for a long duration. And then the entire area will look distasteful with patches of coating coming off.

Harleydad
My Location:

Post by Harleydad » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:24 pm

Kevin wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:17 am
And even if the inside of the parts are powder coated, if will peel off with the passage of time. The heat generated will not allow it to remain intact for a long duration. And then the entire area will look distasteful with patches of coating coming off.
So your saying the outside of cases, jugs, rocker boxes etc will flake off over time? I disagree with that, if it's prepped right and coated right. Harley powder coats all sorts of motor parts at the plant.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations - James Madison

Kevin
My Location: US

Post by Kevin » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:30 pm

Harleydad wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:24 pm
Kevin wrote:
So your saying the outside of cases, jugs, rocker boxes etc will flake off over time? I disagree with that, if it's prepped right and coated right. Harley powder coats all sorts of motor parts at the plant.
At the plant, they have the right sort of equipment and temperature to apply such coats. You might be right but I ain't sure if it will not flake off when done by us with limited equipment at our disposal.

Harleydad
My Location:

Post by Harleydad » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:03 am

Kevin wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:30 pm
Harleydad wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:24 pm
Kevin wrote:
At the plant, they have the right sort of equipment and temperature to apply such coats. You might be right but I ain't sure if it will not flake off when done by us with limited equipment at our disposal.
I've done so many I can't count, never an issue, but then my shop was bigger, not out of your garage type stuff.