Super Chrome question

Welcome to Powder 365
linesda
My Location: us

Super Chrome question

Post by linesda » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:53 pm

Hello all, I have a Super Chrome question. When I take my super chrome pieces out of the oven they are dark grey not chrome. Once I clear coat them they do turn to chrome but I am not sure if this is correct. I have watched videos and they all seem to come out chrome even before the clear coat. What am I doing wrong?

Harleydad
My Location:

Re: Super Chrome question

Post by Harleydad » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:01 am

The chrome powders need to be fully cured. How are you taking part metal temp readings? You can't take part metal temp with an I.R. gun on the chrome powders, not accurate. Take a bare piece of the same substrate if you can and hang that in the oven with your powdered parts. Take the reading off of that.
I love my country, but fear my Government

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations - James Madison

Jay V
My Location:

Re: Super Chrome question

Post by Jay V » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:37 am

Chrome powder are at their most brilliant after curing and before clearing. Clearing will drop the reflectivity significantly. As Harleydad noted, they need a full cure and reading the PMT is not accurate with an IR meter.

No idea why you are getting a dull finish after curing - it should be very bright. If you clear it without curing enough it will turn dark.